• Design mechanical systems and devices for underground construction including gantries, pipe carriers, ventilation systems, spreader beams, pumping/piping systems (hydraulic and pneumatic), heat transfer systems, conveying systems and air systems.
• Development of innovative design solutions through brainstorming with project construction teams and/or design peers.
• Prepare design calculations and specifications for custom equipment and fabrication
• Prepare mechanical engineering designs, including layout, design sketches, and conceptual design.
• Check design deliverables in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and company standards.
• Develop schedules and work assignments to ensure successful project completion.
• Coordinate with other drafters, designers and engineers assigned to the project or a task, and reviews work progress and results.
• Cost estimation to determine final material, labor and subcontractor costs to be used in the creation of a proposal (quantity take-offs, vendor coordination/pricing).
• Assist with all other activities as requested by the Engineering Manager
• Develops and maintain bills of materials, drawings, design and work flow documentation
• Identify, brainstorm, scheme, coordinate and refine temporary engineering systems and devices in the construction industry
• Perform inspection of fabrication and in-service systems and devices
• Mentor, train, and develop junior team members
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with minimum ten years’ applicable and verifiable experience in product development, analysis and design including detail design and test, material selection, BOM development and maintenance and cost control
• Professional Engineering (PE) license
• Proficient with various design tools and programs, 3D CAD software SolidWorks or AutoCAD Inventor
• Proficiency and experience with structural analysis and structural design using AISC 14th edition manual
• Proficiency and experience with Excel spreadsheet formulas and advanced tools required; programming including PLC and VBA preferred
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site, including underground, in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Knowledge of construction safety and current federal, OSHA and MSHA requirements
• Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously manage a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move up objects up to 30 pounds.
• Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%).
Requisition ID: 72882