Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Mechanical Engineer is a part of the Coherent engineering design team for laser manufacturing systems. This role assists sales with ensuring quote accuracy, works in conjunction with electrical and controls engineers to design unique and effective systems for customers and ensures clear design documentation and bills of materials for the production team. This role also assists the service teams in ensuring appropriate maintenance and repair of aftermarket products throughout their life-cycle.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Primary responsibilities are to design and develop industrial laser systems and integrate package solutions using innovative engineering solutions.
• Generate effective solutions that are imaginative, thorough, practical and within cost and time targets.
• Manage projects.
• Periodically interact with customers and vendors to discuss, understand and/or establish requirements.
• 3D Modeling using Autodesk Inventor
• Develop and layout innovative Electro-mechanical designs.
• Design to micron level accuracy on integrated multi-axis linear/rotary motion and part holding.
• Provide Fixturing solutions for intricate part-holding solutions.
• Integrate tooling and part handling into enclosure, base and related workstation cell weldments.
• Generate Detail Drawings with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
• Organize and output Bills of Materials.
• Employ new technologies to produce unique and innovative machine tool solutions.
• Execute sound engineering practices, backed up with hand calcs, FEA, etc.
• Select Materials and fabrication for cost/performance.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
• Requires a BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or 4 years of mechanical systems design experience
• Minimum of 5 years of mechanical systems design experience in Tooling and Fixture Design in 3D, integrated into material processing workstations as used in either manually or automated manufacturing systems
• Previous experience using Inventor software
• Previous experience using SolidWorks Software
• Must work from an office located in Plymouth, MI
• Previous experience in manufacturing automation design for mass production, such as conveyorized manufacturing
• Previous laser system design experience
• Previous experience designing Robotic workcells and associated end effectors as required
• Knowledge of applicable safety standards
• Competent in Microsoft Office products and efficient in email and internet
• Proven oral and written skills required
• High accuracy in work, attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to assist with hands-on prototype design and builds as well as transfers to production.
• Strong process orientation – ability to clearly communicate goals and to translate into discrete actions, next-steps or processes
• Passion for technology and continuously learning –maintains pulse on and stays up to date on latest industry/functional trends, technology and approaches
• Strong business and results orientation –focus on driving to end results/solutions for the customer and/or the business
• Accountable – takes ownership of decisions or issues and follows-through or follows-up on commitments
• Imaginative & open – can come up with and consider new or unique solutions and approaches to problems; open to considering and trying other’s new or unique ideas or solutions