Looking for a Mechanical Department Head for Nashville.
The Mechanical Department Head provides department management and technical direction in an engineering discipline within an office. Responsible for staff management, production scheduling, and technical quality for the design discipline within the office. Ensures all engineering products, initiatives, and processes conform to the organization’s established policies and objectives.
- Performs resource management duties for the department such as weekly man hour assignments and allocation
- Manages the staffing levels and utilization of the department by tracking department performance statistics, maintaining communication with team members, and facilitating employee reallocation
- Interfaces with client relationship managers (CRMs) and project managers (PMs) to determine specific project staffing needs and discuss staff performance successes and areas for improvement
- Assures that design engineering services are commensurate with professional standards, client requirements, and corporate objectives
- Maintains knowledge of new technical developments in the discipline and assists technical leaders in the dispersion of this knowledge
- Oversees and guides project teams in carrying out design and engineering tasks
- Responsible for the technical quality of work performed within the department, overseeing the technical staff’s implementation of project QAQC plans developed by project managers
- Reviews unusual or complex design problems and provides guidance for their solution
- In collaboration with other department heads, establishes expectations and processes to achieve effective inter-discipline coordination and communication
- Resolves disputes and conflicts that develop within the department or with other departments, working on process improvement to alleviate future disputes
- Approves timesheets and expense reports per company policies and project allocations
- Evaluates the performance of technical staff and provides salary and bonus recommendations
- Leads the recruitment, selection, and development of engineers and designers for the discipline
- Maintains technical expertise within the department through technical training, including facilitating development through internal department training
- Coordinates standards with Technical Resource Group and ensures adoption of standards by staff
- Communicates and interacts with clients and vendors
- Performs senior engineer and project manager responsibilities on projects as needed
An ideal candidate will possess the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10 years applicable experience in a consulting engineering firm OR 15 years of applicable experience in electrical design.
- Must have a Registered Professional Engineer
- Management experience a plus
- Revit MEP experience a plus
- Large commercial experience a plus
- 3 years of experience managing projects from small to large scope and complexity
- An expert within the discipline of his/her expertise
SSR is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Our mission is to make a positive difference for our clients, colleagues, and communities.