Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
Serve as the plant’s Subject Matter Expert (SME) for measurement systems, including production floor instrumentation, measurements/laboratory test equipment, image processing software & technology, and lead the Measurement System Analysis and calibration processes. The ideal candidate will have a mix of knowledge across quality, controls and measurements analysis spaces.
The Measurements Engineer will be involved in the full life cycle – concept, design, implementation and maintenance – of new and existing measurement systems in the plant.
- Develop & maintain on-going control strategies for measurement systems to ensure consistent & optimal performance of measurement devices.
- Actively participate in qualification and receivership of measurement systems delivered to the plant, during design, fabrication, integration and testing, installation and production start-up. Ensure training of plant personnel and technology transfer.
- Responding to second-level support requests for measurement equipment issues, elevate to CET division engineering (when required) and manage to closure accordingly. Provide support as required for software programs that interact with motion control systems, image processing systems, and potentially robotics. Have knowledge of custom algorithms with ability to modify as required.
- Participate in the development of software architectures, software functional specification, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements.
- Lead projects for improvements to existing hardware and software systems and/or introduction of new plant-specific measurements and control systems.
- Influence concepts and design of systems targeted for the plant by participating in formal processes such as Division Measurement and Core Technology review meetings.
- Oversee Calibration Laboratory compliance with customer-required performance standards, designing, executing, and analyzing measurement qualification tests, such as Repeatability and Reproducibility (R&R) and MSA’s. Develop & maintain on-going control strategies for measurement systems to ensure consistent & optimal performance of measurement devices.
- Less than 10% per year
- Could include travel for training and technology meetings
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time
- 40- 45 hour week: Typically M - F, 8 – 5
- Weekend coverage approximately once every 8 weeks.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer, Electrical or Optical Engineering and two to three years’ minimum measurement systems experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics or Mathematics and a minimum of three years of experience (can include co-ops and internships) in manufacturing including one yearexperience with measurements systems.
- Must have knowledge of at least one traditional language such as C#, Java, C++, VB, etc.
- Knowledge of databases.
- Knowledge of electrical, controls, and optics instrumentation (e.g. sensors, lasers) and vision systems technologies. Experience with imaging/machine vision (2D and 3D systems).
- Base understanding of statistical analysis such as histograms, regression, standard deviation, gauge R&R, etc.
- Track record of delivering results
- Course work or experience with using tools such as AutoCad, Matlab, Simulink etc.
- Background in computer programs like Halcon, Matrox Vision Library, MatLab, Labview, WiT, etc.
- Works well with other disciplines (IT, process, mechanicalengineering)
- Some experience in a manufacturing environment
- Some knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
- Experience with precision optical systems
- PLC Programming
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Technical curiosity
- Leadership and independent thinking
- Strong organizational skills
Req #: 7208