The Materials Research Manager is responsible for leading the raw materials commercialization process by providing strong leadership and guidance to the Materials Research Team. This role works closely with global partners within and outside the Manufacturing Department to effectively commercialize raw materials within calendar timelines and in alignment with the Global CSC Manufacturing strategy while meeting quality, performance and compliance requirements.
- Collaborate with partners within the materials group and global liaison office counterparts to develop, implement and execute process, tools and strategy to measure team and supplier performance to established standards and goals.
- Collaborate with Design, Merchandising and Sourcing management to determine seasonal material palette and use influence to ensure best possible strategic alignment of materials and finished goods source as well as trade benefits.
- Drive the transition of innovative technology platforms from the Innovation team to inline Materials Research and product buy ready.
- Develop strong team interaction with Costing, Innovation, Materials Quality, Quality Assurance and Global Liaison Offices to ensure efficient execution of entire development process through to seasonal production.
- Cultivate leadership, management skills and technical expertise within your teams while providing coaching, development plans and career paths to encourage the growth and retention of talent.
- Develop strategic succession plans for yourself and key roles throughout your organization.
- Stay current on fiber / materials market in relation to raw materials source locations, cost, technological advancements and trends.
- Active participation in summits, group/staff meetings and activities of other functions to inform, educate, and set goals with other departments in relation to achieving the goals and executing the strategies of the Company and the Manufacturing Department.
- Be a leader for continuous process improvement. Participate in projects or issue resolution that develop and/or impact the materials development, quality, costing or other manufacturing areas.
College degree in business, apparel/textiles, manufacturing, or related experience.Proven successful management experience.
8+ years experience in textiles or apparel industry with exposure to international business practices.
- Working knowledge of textiles.
- Working knowledge in the global trade of garment and material options.
- Working knowledge of garment and textile manufacturing processes.
- Teach and lead by example. Motivate and develop team members through providing challenging projects and responsibilities.
- Drive a culture of empowerment and trust through the application of servant leadership principles.
- Ability to effectively manage competing projects/problems under work and time pressure.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, ability to collect, organize, analyze and present data.
Position requires supervisory responsibility of 8-10 employees with varying experience in the textiles and manufacturing field. Proven leadership skills required.
Internally, day to day contact occurs across multiple work functions in the home office, and with liaison office staff in foreign countries. This role requires the ability to effectively communicate within, up and down the corporate matrix. Credibility, influence and motivational capabilities are essential skill sets to be a effective. External contacts are primarily with suppliers/manufacturers. Most contacts involve information exchange, problem solving, and negotiation which frequently contain confidential and/or sensitive information necessitating discretion at all times. Contents may include information on proprietary technology, strategic planning information, and confidential personnel information. Contact with foreign nationals is common and skill is expected in understanding and respecting foreign customs of each country we conduct business. Contacts are normally made with others inside and outside the organization. .