At Meta, we’re developing the future of AR/VR. Within our Optics & Display Process organization, we are building a talented team of hardware engineers with competencies across a variety of fields. The Materials NPI Engineer will be working closely with design, engineering and external manufacturing partners to assess the manufacturability of optical component and/or module processes, with a particular focus on material selection, development, and processes. You will partner with both suppliers and internal partners to champion scalability, reliability and cost initiatives during design and development to successfully ramp and sustain high-volume manufacturing processes. The ideal team member works well in teams, brainstorms big ideas, dives into new technology areas, advocates for manufacturability during concept and prototyping stages, and can enable designs, systems and processes for high-volume consumer product solutions.Materials NPI Engineer Responsibilities
- Member of technical team responsible for cross-functional engagement with internal and external partners to support ramp readiness and execute operation and delivery of optical components and modules
- Team-wide expert in advanced materials (e.g. optically clear adhesives, UV-curable adhesives, pressure sensitive adhesives, conductive polymers, solders, encapsulants, etc.) used in optical component fabrication and assembly processes
- Leverage background knowledge to build an interaction map between the properties of key materials, KPIs, and process parameters and understand the impact on manufacturability, scalability, and supply chain.
- Influence decision-making by understanding end-to-end process flow, tool requirements, and interplay between design/process by engaging with internal designers, analyzing datasets, and forging relationships with our external manufacturing partners
- Partner with engineering and development teams to formulate material convergence plans as they relate to meeting design requirements and manufacturability targets
- Influence process/equipment/site convergence as it relates to meeting design requirements and manufacturability and reliability targets
- Work with internal partners to identify vendors and support vendor roadmap development for high volume production materials, processes and equipment
- Communicate and drive accountability for specifications, manufacturing metrics, and line/process/material qualification requirements to external vendor
- Drive material suppliers to provide data analysis and reports of process capability
- standardize data collection and reporting practices
- identify component and process CTQs
- and drive IQC/IPQC/OQC capabilities and methodologies
- Partner with external vendor in troubleshooting, yield improvement, FA/CA and mitigating any technical issues
- Cooperatively own tool and process specifications with cross-functional team leaders
- Support data validation for design and process robustness by evaluating limits of design/process windows
- Document and standardize best practices, SOPs, and operational models
- work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure best practices/SOPs/models are applied universally.
- Willingness to travel to manufacturing sites as and when required
- Bachelor's Degree in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Applied Physics, Optics OR equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience of material development, qualification, characterization, and/or failure analysis
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in statistical process control and data analysis, using tools such as JMP, Tableau, Matlab, or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience working with external suppliers to deliver custom optical components, modules, or systems.
- Practical demonstration of knowledge of various materials used in optical components and assembly processes, their properties, and methods of characterizing their properties
- Knowledge in KPIs of optical devices, such as brightness, contrast, uniformity, MTF and how material selection can impact these
- Knowledge and implementation of Design-for-manufacturing (DFM) concepts to optimize yield, throughput, efficiency, CPK
- Knowledge of assembly equipment, processes, and materials
- Clear communication with cross functional partners and management
- Masters or P.h.D in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics or Optics
- Experience with some of the following processes: molding, 3D printing, lamination, solder printing, reflow, needle dispensing/jetting, and die attach
- Knowledge of and experience with some of the following technologies: advanced packaging, surface mount technology (SMT), high-precision assembly
- Knowledge of and experience with some of the following materials: solders, anisotropic conductive films, conducting polymers, adhesives, optical substrates, optical coatings, encapsulants
- Experience with high volume manufacturing of optical devices in a CE environment
- Experience working with an external vendor as a contract manufacturing partner
- Experience with design for manufacturability optimization
- Experience with multiple full life-cycle product launches
- Proficiency in structured technical problem solving techniques and methodology
- Six Sigma certification and/or training (DMAIC or DFSS)
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today—beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support.
$167,000/year to $230,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits
Please note the national salary range listed in the job posting reflects the new hire salary range across levels and U.S. locations that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s final level and final location.