Summary of Position:
The Materials Engineering Manager will oversee all of the materials engineering functions at EMD, including metallurgy, weld engineering, brazing, additive manufacturing technologies, and insulation materials development. As manager of a cross-functional materials engineering team, the ideal candidate will work closely with Engineering to support design development and materials engineering issues related to product design and analysis. He or she will also work closely with Production to support welding, brazing, and other materials joining activities and processes, and will be responsible for ensuring support of factory activities related to materials. The candidate will assign and manage materials engineering resources to deliver value-added solutions on-time and within cost allocations. He or she will foster continuous improvement in processes and methods to complete work, and develop a collaborative group of subject matter experts tailored to meet business needs.
Department: Engineering Processes and Resources
- Interacts effectively and flexibly with internal and external customers to address technical needs including negotiation activities, technical meetings, and review and approval of technical reports
- Assigns and manages work to meet technical and project requirements on-time and within cost allocations
- Fosters continuous improvement
- Provides clear expectations when delegating tasks to materials and weld engineers
- Effectively and efficiently plans work
- Defines, grows and maintains key materials engineering skills to meet business needs
- Provides challenging and stretch assignments to develop engineers, including cross-functional assignments within group
- Actively mentors to ensure knowledge transfer
- Acts in alignment with organizational vision
- An individual must be strong in most of the competencies listed below to successfully perform the essential functions of this position:
- Functional and Technical Skills, Action Oriented, Customer Focus, Dealing with Ambiguity, Managerial Courage, Developing Direct Reports, Motivating Others, Planning, Priority Setting, Decision Quality, Timely Decision Making.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Materials Science, Weld Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Materials Science, Weld Engineering or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Minimum Experience: 10 years
- Experience in performing or leading work in the following areas is preferred:
- Weld Engineering and/or Brazing
- Material Failure Analysis
Travel: Approximately 5% or less
This position may require exposure to information which is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.