Requisition Number: 36137
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry. This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position
Manage a small team of materials engineers that drive projects related to material replacements, second sourcing qualifications, materials performance versus application fit analysis, and cost savings. Develop a long term strategy for materials management from an engineering / product design / manufacturing point of view.
Major Roles and Responsibilities
You will lead a team of 2-4 materials engineers that will:
- Provide leadership of materials related projects across all OCS location and departments.
- Support resin product development projects and transfers.
- Lead the development of thermoplastic compounds.
- Monitor trials for new development projects.
- Application engineering in resin introduction phases.
- Provide overall evaluation and analysis from laboratory results.
- Observation of material technical developments and trends inner the thermoplastic market.
- Organization and execution of new material introductions.
- Documentation of trails and result presentations.
- Assistance and registration from new materials into the register of hazardous substances.
- Technical contact for material suppliers.
- Interface between the Supply Chain and Development department.
- Introduction of recycled materials into the production processes.
- Set and sell the vision, strategy, and tactical plan for driving improvements in materials costs, second sourcing, qualifications, and substitutions. Work closely with Development, Manufacturing, and Technology teams.
- Drive the long-term sustainability and impact of Materials Engineering.
- Develop skills you'll use every single day within the group consistent the needs of the supported product lines and the mission of Product Engineering.
- Drive the use of the Corning Technical Career Ladder, mentoring, work assignments and training to build a strong and Materials Engineering career path.
- Craft and support the establishment of a safe work environment.
- Execute department budget and manage spending to ensure alignment to the budget.
Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- BS in Materials or Plastics Engineering or equivalent degree or higher
- Demonstrable project management skills
- 5+ years experience and knowledge as materials engineer
- 3 years in a supervisory or management experience in a technical field
- Solid leadership skills and interpersonal skills
- Strong project management skills for complex and simultaneous project assignment priorities
- Ability to utilize all MS Office applications
- Knowledgeable in industrial economics
- Deep understanding of materials analysis and fit applications (cause and effect)
- Affective verbal and written communication
- Ability to lead or participate in multi-functional international teams
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) by 10%
- Ability to solve with advanced problem-solving tools
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and gain support for changes needed to adhere to project metrics
- Technical English language skills (written & spoken)
For this exciting new opportunity, please think about the following:
- Do you love working to find alternate solutions for products and molds?
- Are you driven by solving material problems?
- Do you love being hands on and working within a multi-functional organization?
If you are looking to take the lead of a new team that will work to make an impact on both products and cost savings, this position is one that you need to consider!
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.