Help us deliver what's next in outdoor living by developing effective operational recipes, creating material optimization models, managing material inventories, supporting supplier relationships and tracking performance.
As our next Materials Engineer, you will utilize your experience in raw materials management to develop operational recipes that support performance goals; help manage material inventory optimization; identify and qualify new materials; inspect and grade recycled materials; and assist with material disposition. Working closely with colleagues in manufacturing, R&D and across the organization, you will support material management activities and cost-saving initiatives. You have a keen eye for detail, which will help you identify variances, ensure proper classification of materials or effectively evaluate and resolve potential issues to meet demand objectives.
Talented employees are just one of Trex Company's trademarks. This is your chance to work for a company consistently awarded recognition for market leadership and innovation. Trex outdoor living products offer significant design flexibility with fewer ongoing maintenance requirements than wood, as well as a truly environmentally responsible choice. Trex decking products contain 95 percent recycled content and we are one of the largest plastic scrap recyclers in the U.S. Our organization kept more than 600 million pounds of plastic and wood scrap out of landfills last year alone.
Besides working for the company known for its recycling heritage and as a creator of amazing outdoor living spaces, Trex employees enjoy an industry-leading compensation and benefits package, bonuses and incentive programs, tuition assistance, a six percent 401(k) match, and more: trex.com/careers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, select and manage operational recipes for Trex Company's main manufacturing facility in Winchester, Virginia. Report monthly performance materials performance to plan and plant performance, including rate, yield, uptime, etc.
- Support material management activities for new manufacturing, and R&D efforts.
- Create material mix optimization models to effectively utilize existing and projected material inventories to support plan objectives.
- Develop, manage and support cost-saving initiatives to achieve plan objectives.
- Review and manage raw material inventories. Identify and qualify markets for scrap, excess or obsolete materials. Coordinate and execute the sale or disposal of these materials.
- Support material receiving operations to ensure accurate material identification and inspection processes.
- Identify and coordinate the qualification of new materials for incorporation into operational recipes helping to reduce overall costs, improve plant performance and support new product development.
- Review incoming raw material supply and evaluate against current material blends to identify supply and demand variances. Resolve variances by coordinating additional supply or switching to approved alternate material mix to meet demand objectives.
- Review incoming recycled raw material receiving grading and usage classification process to ensure materials as identified and classified properly. Create recycled raw material supplier performance reports based on material quality and usage designation. Coordinate supplier performance with sourcing resources.
- Maintain, manage and develop suppliers and supplier relationships to support material recipes and plan objectives.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in chemical or materials engineering is required, and a master's degree in a related field is a plus.
- At least five years of progressive experience in management of materials and sourcing within a design or manufacturing environment, or at least five years of progressive experience in process manufacturing engineering with a focus on raw material management.
- Experience in Total Quality Environmental Management, Six Sigma, or other similar environments.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Enterprise Resource Planning or Material Requirements Planning (ERP/MRP) systems and their use in a manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Ability to demonstrate solid written and oral communication skills.