As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for working with casting and forging suppliers to develop and qualify castings and forgings for use in rockets and rocket engines. This position requires an engaging and focused individual who has worked with the casting and forging industry to produce complex and specialized cast and forged products.
- Work with casting and forging suppliers to develop and qualify quality castings and forgings to meet Engineering requirements.
- Translate forging and casting process knowledge to the actionable steps by qualified suppliers through product development to production.
- Work with and provide technical guidance to Engineering Designers in the selection of casting and forgings, inclusive of material heat treat conditions and acceptance testing.
- Work with and provide design guidance to Engineering Design in creation of forging and casting drawings.
- Write and excecute casting and forging material process and qualification plans.
- Bachelor of Science in Metallurgy, Materials Science, or Manufacturing Processes
- Minimum 5 years working in a Materials and Processes or equivalent role responsible for supporting design and production of cast and forged aerospace components.
- Understanding and ability to conceptualize the tooling design, molding methods, gating and rigging design, melt and pour sequence, and post cast sequences to produce aerospace quality castings.
- Understanding and ability to conceptualize the tooling design, heating temps, forging rates, cycles and sequence to produce aerospace quality forgings
- In-depth metallurgical understanding of heat treatment, stress relief and residual stress in metallic alloys: aluminums; Coppers; Nickels; Stainless Steels; and Titanium.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct root cause investigations and work with corrective action teams in forge shops and foundries.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, articulate and correct process deviations in forge shops and foundries resulting in quality castings and forgings.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough and detailed failure analysis of metallic components.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Knoweldge or use of casting and forging modelling software
- Knowledge of NDE methods
- Lot acceptance methods for heat, lot and components, inclusive of FAIs
- Knowledge and use of FMEAs
- In depth knowledge of ancillary processes for these commodities: abrasive and chemical cleaning, gate removal, cleaning, finishing, heat treatment, joining and welding.
- Familiarity with the Toyota Production System and LEAN Manufacturing.