Sound Technology, State College, PA has an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional candidate in the field of Material Science. This position will report to the Director of Operational Excellence and will have management responsibility. The successful candidate will work directly with manufacturing engineering, production, and development to characterize properties, interactions and long term effects of materials used in the manufacture of ultrasound probes. We are looking for a creative and dedicated individual who will fit with our collaborative culture.
- Conduct analysis on the structures and properties of materials, such as polymers, epoxies, and ceramics to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones
- Test materials to determine conformance to specifications of mechanical strength, adhesion, electrical properties, and resistance to abrasion, chemical exposure, sterilization techniques and environmental conditions
- Perform experiments and computer modeling to study the nature, structure, physical and chemical properties of metals, ceramics, solders, polymers, and epoxies.
- Prepare and characterize surface conditions of manufacturing materials in order to maximize adhesion
- Work with production resources to establish repeatable and capable processes for applying and curing epoxies and related materials
- Provide a means to establish and maintain control and capability of material processes
- Extract and analyze data streams to provide insight into material effects and interactions
- Evaluate the effectiveness of particular barrier layers to prevent migration of gels, liquids and vapors
- Develop efficient cleaning procedure to remove materials (epoxies etc.) from manufacturing tooling
- Test material samples for tolerance under tension, compression, and shear to determine the cause of material failures
- Understand/predict liquid and vapor penetration through elastomers
- Remain current on new disinfectant and/or other sterilization techniques testing and the effect on all fundamental materials
- Material conditions vs time mapping through production cycle
- Lead and develop a technical team of both exempt and non-exempt reports
- Experience in a FDA, ISO13485, or other highly regulated environment required
- Working knowledge of ERP systems such as Visual, SAP, etc., required
- Must have the ability to think strategically and solve problems
- Bring energy and enthusiasm to each days effort
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within or lead a team of peers, as well as excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to communicate highly technical analyses at a level comprehensible to laymen and senior management
- Must have advanced time management and analytical skills
- Must be able to work independently/self-motivated
- Master’s Degree in Material Science, Chemical Engineering or related. Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a medical device manufacturing environment is preferred
- Six Sigma and/or Data Science training and experience is preferred
- Experience managing or leading small teams or groups is required.