NATURE OF WORK:
This is highly responsible work, assuming the management activities for the materials department in a lean manufacturing, just in time environment.
Incumbents in this classification provide oversight for pre production material control, material scheduling and release, bill of materials coordination, and transportation logistics.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
(The following duties are typical for this classification. However, any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all of the duties which may be performed.)
- Oversees and monitors shipment plans from suppliers to ensure sufficient inventory of products to satisfy customer’s needs.
- Analyzes inventory levels, accuracy and assists in resolving inventory discrepancies.
- Establishes and maintains communications to satisfy the needs of the plants while facilitating a consistent and coordinated interface with suppliers on quality, delivery, and other performance objectives.
- Meets optimum inventory performance objectives as defined by Materials management.
- Works closely with other departments.
- Gathers data for analysis regarding usage, quality, price, and manufacturing capability.
- Disseminates supplier performance data to plant.
- Develops and maintains on-going ethical supplier relationships that foster a desire to furnish new ideas, and promote cooperation with Lear on an on-going basis.
- Participates in inter-departmental teams working towards continuous process improvement, elimination of waste and simultaneous engineering.
- Works on projects to improve quality, cycle time, process variation and efficiency.
- Verifies perpetual inventory against physical count of stock and adjusts errors in computation or count, and investigates and reports reasons for discrepancies and variances in perpetual.
- Maintains records of goods ordered and received.
- Prepares and processes requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Controls Material department budgets.
- Interviews and hires staff, and oversee staff training.
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Analyzes market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Enforces safety rules and regulations.
- Plans work assignments and equipment allocations in order to meet material, operations, or production goals.
- Confers with customers, supervisors, contractors, and other personnel to exchange information and to resolve problems.
- Resolves worker problems, or collaborate with employees to assist in problem resolution.
- Reviews orders, production schedules, blueprints, and shipping/receiving notices to determine work sequences and material shipping dates, types, volumes, and destinations.
- Interprets transportation and tariff regulations, shipping orders, safety regulations, and company policies and procedures for workers.
- Coordinates physical inventory audits with Accounting.
- Assists in developing Policies and SOPs relating to Materials Management.
- Maintains and develops good relationships with suppliers and source/obtain best prices for material purchases.
- Recommends and assists in the implementation of unit goals and objectives; establishes schedules and methods for assigned parts operations; and implements policies and procedures.
- Participates in budget preparation and administration; prepares cost estimates for budget recommendations and monitors and controls expenditures.
- Maintain and Implement departmental procedures to ensure compliance with IATF 16949 standards
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of inventory control.
- Knowledge of central warehousing and distribution operations.
- Knowledge of pertinent local, state and federal laws, ordinances and rules.
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and the coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of the various functions of an automotive plant such as maintenance, quality, production control, safety, quality, operations, and materials as needed to determine how these areas are interrelated.
- Knowledge of strategies such as product lifecycle management (PLM), just-in-time, and self directed teams as needed to effectively implement these strategies.
- Knowledge of computerized inventory control and associated data bases with particular emphasis on optimum storage space utilization.
- Skill in negotiating and purchasing.
- Ability to plan for forthcoming projects as well ensure smooth running of current/concurrent projects.
- Ability to obtain and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, train and evaluate assigned staff.
- Physical Ability to work in an office setting; to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Physical Ability to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movements.
- Physical Ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull items weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Physical Ability to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard.
- Must be willing to work extended periods of time or varying shift hours.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to get certified in forklift and other powered vehicles.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and five years experience in logistics and/or materials.
Tracking Code 500-100.