The Carlisle Group has been retained by a highly profitable commercial carrier to find a talented Worker’s Compensation Marketing Underwriter. This position reports to the Director of Marketing & Underwriting. This role will be the liaison for new business and overall agency management for the company in OK, Northwest AR, and Southern MO. Our client is seeking a talented Underwriter with experience in Worker’s Compensation who enjoys meeting with independent agencies.
This position is involved in the review and appraisal of new business applications for insurance and primarily responsible for overall agency management of assigned agencies. Uses knowledge and independent judgment to determine eligibility of risks when compared to guidelines of programs available. Responds to questions from agents and insured's and manages the overall agency plan for assigned territory.
- Has the responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, profitability, retention, and growth for assigned agencies/territory. Works closely with renewal underwriter(s) to achieve joint business objectives for territory.
- Price business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensures standards of timeliness are met.
- Uses independent judgement and initiative to support business goals.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships at all levels of assigned agencies as well as with renewal underwriter and all other internal departments.
- Expertly interprets, explains, and markets the company’s products and services.
- Handles overall agency management responsibilities for assigned agencies including profitability, planning, development, and compensation/incentives.
- Serves as main point of contact for assigned agencies.
- Requests additional documentation necessary for the processing of an application, endorsement, or cancellation. Appropriately documents files and ensures all documentation required for new business is obtained according to underwriting guidelines.
- Stays abreast of competition and maintains competitive intelligence for assigned territory.
- Documents and completes agency call reports as per established guidelines.
- Keeps up to date with underwritings and/or product changes.
- Identifies problems or potential problems and works with agent to correct.
- In coordination with renewal underwriter, reviews and responds to loss activity for each policy in assigned territory.
- Reviews requests for cancellation, endorsements, as appropriate.
- Reviews policies for renewal consideration and coordinates/communicates accordingly with renewal underwriter
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience in insurance underwriting and marketing type activities.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills to build and grow excellent agent and other customer relationships.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of automated systems.
- Strong analytical skills with an attention to detail.
- Solid to exceptional negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of departmental regulations and policies.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted underwriting practices.
Training and Experience/Minimum Qualifications:
- 3+ years of worker’s compensation underwriting experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience in standard underwriting practices and procedures.
- Agency management experience. Open and interested in meeting with Agencies in person.
- Associated classes or courses and/or industry license, or designation (Agent, CIC, CPCU) preferred.
- Primarily working from home office and in field within assigned territory.
- Visit agents within assigned territory.
- Travel will likely be 25% of time (mainly day travel with about 15% overnight).