The Marketing Specialist works under the supervision of the Director of Planned Gifts and is an integral part of a growing team. This position will be responsible for developing and executing multi-channel marketing efforts to increase bequest and other types of planned giving income now and in the future. Success will be measured in large part by the increased number of inquiries and the rate of conversion to new closed gifts or newly documented existing gifts. This position requires a self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. The position requires excellent writing and analytical skills, diplomacy and discretion, and the ability to adapt and think creatively and critically. The Specialist must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and be highly detail‐oriented.
Informed by the strategic direction of the Director, he/she/they will draft and edit copy, execute a multi-channel marketing strategy, and prepare targeted mailings. The Specialist designs and implements web-based and electronic messaging, and maintains an updated planned giving website. This position is also responsible for creating and executing communication strategies that directly support the ongoing stewardship of more than 2,000 Evergreen Council members.
He/she/they supervises the work of our third party vendor, Mal Warwick Digital/Planned Giving Strategist in prospecting into a file of 200,000 current or recent donors. He/she/they maintains ongoing communication and works directly with the entire development team, particularly with Donor Marketing and Engagement, Communications and Outreach and Membership Services teams to maintain alignment on cross-departmental projects.
This position may be based in Earthjustice’s headquarters office in San Francisco, CA or our Washington, DC office or may be based in a remote location.
We will also consider remote candidates, ideally from the below locations where we have an established business location: Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, and Bozeman. Certain locations may be subject to agreement as long as Earthjustice can operate as a business in the new area.
Marketing and Communications (70%)
- Oversee the creation and deployment of marketing materials for donor communication through digital and print channels: email, social, digital, and direct mail.
- Prepare written materials, supporting documents, and impact statements appropriate for planned giving donor communications.
- With the Director, develop annual plans to increase revenue through phone and electronic communication, mass marketing efforts and social media.
- Manage planned giving direct mail and e-mail response tracking system.
- Monitor digital and direct mail analytics, especially conversion of leads to closed gifts, continuously evaluating and optimizing for improved performance.
- Oversee planned giving website to optimize functionality and integration with other channels; ensure content is updated and accurate.
- Manage all third party vendor relationships for digital and direct mail efforts.
- Execute the planned giving marketing and communications plan each fiscal year, to create awareness and help identify new planned giving donors. Seek opportunities to customize the plan for individual schools and programs.
- Draft and edit gift-planning advertisements for newsletters, mailings, and electronic media, in collaboration with Communications.
- Manage a comprehensive gift-planning direct mail program for various constituencies.
- Produce gift-planning copy for other marketing and stewardship needs as they arise.
- Manage a $150,000 marketing budget, adhering to timelines for creation and dissemination of materials while ensuring that costs are kept within budgeted resources.
- Develop a system to fulfill promptly and efficiently information requests and inquiries generated through marketing.
- In close collaboration with the Systems Associate and Development Operations team, analyze marketing data, such as gift planning inquiries by source and types of completed gifts, to measure results and to help improve the effectiveness of gift planning promotional strategies and materials.
- Research best practices in planned giving marketing; propose new channels, products and delivery methods.
- Collaborate with other members of the planned giving team; assist with other projects as needed.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop new initiatives and strategies to deepen the donor experience for Evergreen Council members.
- Develop new opportunities that increase the visibility of the Evergreen Council among external and internal constituencies.
- Manage and expand donor appreciation plan, such as birthday card and Thanksgiving Day card programs.
- Design and implement a web-based and electronic messaging marketing and stewardship strategy, to take advantage of emerging technology, including consideration of regular e-mail contact with Evergreen Council members.
- Create donor testimonials for use in publications. Conduct donor interviews, synthesize material to develop compelling content.
- Liaison with Events team for cultivation and stewardship events.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of marketing or fundraising experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of seven years of relevant experience preferred.
- Excellent aptitude for learning about planned gifts and effective ways to promote their benefits among various constituent groups
- Strong written and oral communications skills and a demonstrated ability to produce effective written marketing materials
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent attention to data integrity, strong proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Strong initiative, self-motivation and flexibility; ability to make sound judgments and independent decisions and work collaboratively as a member of a successful team.
- Energetic, organized creative professional who is a team player
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and work with grace under pressure.
- Ability to use effective interpersonal skills, discretion, and diplomacy to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including donors, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; knowledge of CRM and graphic design software helpful.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- An awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.