Shepley Bulfinch—a national architecture firm with a staff of 175 across offices in Boston, Houston, and Phoenix—has just unveiled a major brand refresh. We are seeking a Boston-based Marketing Manager to oversee the five-person team that will be integral to driving our new visual identity and messaging forward.
The Marketing Manager will be vital in identifying and implementing systems—both staff and systems processes — to enhance Marketing team performance across the firm. She/he will also mentor and train other Marketing staff, specifically focused on the development and management of proposals, qualification packages, presentations, award submissions, boilerplate marketing materials, and other services and assets that support the overall Marketing and Business Development efforts of the firm.
The Marketing Manager will report to the Vice President of Brand Strategy and work closely with our Business Development Managers across the firm as well as our Communications Manager.
Successful candidates will be process-oriented and inquisitive—quickly becoming a knowledge expert in the firm’s markets, portfolio, and people. Applicants should enjoy overseeing frequent deadlines within an integrated workflow, be solutions-oriented, and actively identify opportunities to elevate the work of the department.
- Work closely with multidisciplinary Principals and Project Teams across offices, as well as members of the Marketing team, to oversee the production of high-quality proposals that promote the firm’s capabilities.
- Mastermind continuous improvement of marketing processes and procedures—including identifying and implementing a new internal CMS with the Communications Manager to advance consistency and efficiency.
- Attentively reviews and analyzes RFP/Qs and participates in pursuit planning and strategy.
- Responsible for proposal content, award submissions, project profiles, and bios, ensuring that information is communicated clearly, reflects defined strategy, and aligns with the firm’s overall brand—including graphic and messaging guidelines.
- Leads some proposal meetings—including mock-up sessions—and establishes timelines and assignments to ensure deadlines are met.
- Employs quality assurance practices prior to team review and submission.
- 5-7years of experience in the AEC industry
- Experience managing others
- Prior successful experience implementing a CMS
- Highly proficient in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and PowerPoint a plus
- Familiarity with Deltek and OpenAsset preferred
- Understanding of concepts, practices, and procedures in the design profession
- BS/BA in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism, Design, or Business is preferred
- Strong interest in design
- Strong writing ability
- Collaborative spirit
- Intellectually stimulated
- Driven by ideas and creativity
- Highly organized, proactive, and entrepreneurial
- Ability to establish effective and collaborative working relationships—specifically, leadership and Marketing team
- Ability to identify road blocks and resolve problems
- Ability to set deadlines, motivate and hold others accountable
- Ability to balance big picture with small details
- High energy and dedication