12News, the TEGNA-owned NBC affiliate, is seeking a Marketing Director to lead the development and execution of brand-and-buzz-building strategies to grow ratings, audience engagement, and revenue on all platforms. A member of the station leadership team as well as a partner to corporate marketing. The Marketing Director will play a key role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process. The ideal candidate will inspire creative excellence, and consistently ask what if? to deliver consumer and advertiser campaigns for maximum reach and impact.
The Marketing Director will report directly to the President and General Manager of 12News with a dotted line to the Vice President of Marketing and oversee all aspects of creative marketing for the brand, including but not limited to: on-air spots, off-channel multiplatform creative, print collateral, social media assets, set redesigns, internal branding, client production and more. This executive will be the creative eyes and ears of the station ensuring cohesion, collaboration, consistency, and audience appeal always. This is a wonderful opportunity to be a key member of a collaborative, hard-working and dedicated team to build and strengthen an exciting brand in a major market.
Are you a strategic marketing leader who can inspire creative excellence? Do you want to work among the best? If you want to work with forward-thinking leaders in the media industry who can offer significant growth opportunities and with people who have the imagination to think big and the guts to take risks, keep reading.
12News, the TEGNA-owned NBC affiliate, is seeking candidates who want to apply every ounce of their leadership, creative, digital and strategic marketing skills to develop and execute brand-and-buzz-building, award-winning ideas across media (on-air, online, on social, tablet, mobile, experiential et al.) at a world-class level all in the interest of multiplatform audience and revenue growth. We’re seeking a marketing director who won’t settle for nothing short of flawless execution, consistently ask “what if” and who aspire to deliver consumer and advertiser campaigns with unbridled potential for reach and impact.
Key components of this include:
- Pushing the boundaries of a station’s audience, revenue, and brand potential by serving as a collaborative business partner to a station’s leadership team and playing a key role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process.
- Conceptualizing and engineering the creation of compelling, multiplatform, original station image, news and entertainment programming, and commercial campaigns and when necessary, execute all visual elements personally. Based on the sound strategy outlined in creative briefs, campaigns must clearly and creatively reach stated goals and reinforce the value of the station’s brand. Concepts must work in all media including TV, digital, social, mobile.
- Proactively creating opportunities for audiences to connect with our content by developing annual and quarterly strategic plans, prioritizing key marketing messages and generating breakthrough concepts and strategies.
- Developing and implementing audience development strategies by applying research insights, data, and analytics to marketing activations, including but not limited to content partnerships, digital marketing efforts and more.
- Acting as a collaborative architect for all touchpoints between the station and its audiences. Living as the station’s “chief brand officer,” evangelizing the brand and championing all brand-related matters inside the organization.
- Being a big, bold thinker/innovator and at times, disruptor, for the station. Staying abreast of cutting-edge tools, promotion trends, and campaigns. Collaborating daily with station’s news director and general manager, pushing the station into uncomfortable territory.
- Identifying and championing strategic, cross-department (such as news, social, corporate) and cross-business unit marketing tie-in efforts for maximum positive brand impact, marketplace visibility, and revenue generation.
- Leading a team of creative personnel to perfection in terms of execution and directly supervising employees in the creative and promotions department including but not limited to hiring great people, training, disciplining and appraising the performance of employees.
- Supporting local sales teams in generating non-traditional revenue dollars.
- At least eight years of consumer advertising and promotion experience with a promotion-specific record of success in the television/news industry, brand management, or marketing/digital/advertising agency. Experience creating and measuring integrated advertising campaigns supported by an outstanding creative ability and an exceptional portfolio (link to reel required).
- Firsthand, working knowledge of on-air and digital promotion production techniques, and familiarity with current production and photography trends.
- Experience translating broadcast designs and concepts to interactive digital and social mediacampaigns. Has a track record of successfully strengthening brands by applying tenets of branding, brand consistency and creative cohesion.
- Hands-on experience in marketing content on both linear and non-linear platforms, including utilizing and optimizing display marketing campaign; re-targeting, social media, mobile marketing, etc.
- Experience with on-air planning and ability to manage and maximize the station’s promotional inventory to drive viewership and other business goals.
- Proven track record of developing and producing revenue-driving client campaigns.
- Strong media planner and buyer who understands co-op spending and can build strong partnerships with network, syndication and other 3rd parties.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency within a deadline-oriented fast-paced team environment and juggle multiple projects and priorities at once.
- Comfortable working non-traditional hours to compete in breaking news situations.
- Excellent manager capable of managing up, down and across. Able to manage teams of both strategic and creative personnel.
The ideal candidate is inherently creative and curious, living in a state of constant learning that can benefit the larger organization. They hold themselves to high professional standards, have a good sense of humor, check any ego at the door and can quickly earn the respect of their colleagues.