What You Will Do:
I. General Summary
In conjunction with the Director of Maryland and Communications, develops marketing and communications activities for UMMS and its local organizations; plans, executes and evaluates comprehensive marketing and communications programs that reinforce the UMMS and local site’s mission. Assists director with marketing, media relations, internal and external communication, publications, website management, special events and graphic design.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- In collaboration with Director of Marketing and Communications, helps develop the organization’s image “positioning” that reflects its mission, strategic direction and health care environment. Assists in development of annual corporate communication and marketing plans in collaboration with the Director and the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS).
- Plans, develops, implements and markets new programs/services based on department goals and objectives, hospital growth needs, established priorities, regulatory environment, etc. Assists Director with planning, budgeting and implementation of specific campaigns, advertising materials and special events.
- Provides project management support for advertising campaigns, collateral materials, interviews and other creative products, content for the Web site and other marketing and communications initiatives.
- Assists the Director with media relations and attendant programs, including the initiation or coverage or response to request from newspaper, magazine and electronic media representatives.
- Assists in the production of publications and attendant programs including collateral and special projects. Assists in the coordination of the layout, design, writing, editing and production of brochures, marketing communication pieces, ad copy and collateral marketing materials for internal and external consumption.
- Provide editorial management services as needed for promotional and educational materials including creating concepts, writing brochures and other related materials as well as overseeing the creative aspects of design and printing, developing editorial content, managing writers, writing material, and coordinating distribution and mailing of newsletters.
- Oversees the organization’s website, including content development, editing, technical modifications, and relationships with outside contractors.
- Works in conjunction with physician marketing staff to develop and implement a physician marketing plan each year to boost referrals to UMMS and its local organizations through outreach, marketing and communications activities.
- Assists Director with preparation of reports to illustrate the market position of the service line, affiliate hospitals and outpatient practice locations. Help determine the ROI for marketing campaigns. Research and understand and apply consumer demographics/prevalence of disease information to achieve marketing goals.
- Plans and participates in special events for both internal and external audiences as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in in marketing, communications, or a health related field required, Master’s degreepreferred.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of experience in marketing or communications (preferably health related) that includes knowledge of multiple marketing vehicles required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated effectiveness in creating and executing a marketing and communication plan in a highly complex environment required.
- High level of proficiency and demonstrated effectiveness in problem solving and implementing new programs related to increased departmental and organizational efficiency.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required to work with outside vendors/ contractors, various supervisory, senior management and administrative staff throughout the MedicalCenter and with external customers.
- Familiarity with the health care industry.
- Demonstrated creative writing capability required.
- Demonstrated ability to proofread marketing materials and documents.