Ropes & Gray LLP is a preeminent global law firm focused on providing the highest-quality advice on our clients’ critical legal and business issues. Our global team of 2,500 talented professionals regularly helps clients meet high-stakes challenges, solve complex problems and achieve key goals. These colleagues work together across a global office network that includes offices in Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
We are a contemporary firm that can bring more than 150 years of legal and institutional history to bear on the challenges clients face in today’s 24/7 global business environment. Our collaborative approach gives our clients—which include many of the world’s most respected companies and institutions—ready access to leading corporate, litigation, transactional and regulatory lawyers whose knowledge and experience span industries and geographies.
With an international presence, we focus on a number of key industries, including private equity; asset management; life sciences and health care; investment banking; technology, media and telecommunications; and consumer and retail. Our clients include global industry leaders, financial institutions, investment firms, private equity firms, hospitals and health care organizations, educational institutions, and individuals.
We have consistently been recognized for our leading practices in many areas, including private equity, M&A, finance, asset management, real estate, tax, antitrust, life sciences, health care, intellectual property, litigation & enforcement, privacy & cybersecurity, and business restructuring.
Ropes & Gray is an equal opportunity employer.
The marketing and communications writer researches, writes, edits, proofreads and fact-checks content for a broad range of external and internal communications vehicles, including pitches, proposals, newsletters, website copy, social media posts, rankings and award submissions, announcements, brochures, invitations, advertising copy, video scripts, attorney bios, the firm’s intranet, memos, presentations, talking points, special reports and other materials. Working as part of the firm’s editorial team, this individual is primarily responsible for drafting compelling, concise, persuasive and error-free copy in a style that is consistent with the firm’s messaging and branding.
As a member of the editorial team, this individual collaborates with colleagues at all levels of seniority within the marketing communications department, including members of the creative team, as well as with colleagues in other departments across the firm. The individual in this position should share the characteristics of a resourceful and persistent news reporter, ferreting out interesting information and details about the work of the firm’s lawyers, as well as the talents of an elegant writer. Essential skills include an understanding of legal issues and terminology, the ability to translate legal writing into generally accessible language, adeptness at juggling multiple projects and deadlines, and the professionalism to work comfortably within the culture of a major global law firm.
The position will be based in New York.
Please note that no application for the Marketing and Communications Writer position will be accepted without a cover letter.
· Provide high-level reporting, writing and editing for external and internal communications, including those that support the needs of firm leadership. Solicit input and feedback from internal clients (e.g., firm leadership, attorneys, practice and business development support team members), proofread and fact-check material on tight deadline.
· Provide counsel to internal clients on messaging and content development to ensure that communications are clear, correct and aligned with the firm’s strategic goals. Anticipate needs, respond quickly to requests and draft materials as needed.
· Proactively seek out, identify and develop compelling, timely content for website and intranet stories, social media posts and other firm communications, based on practice group activities, successes (wins, deals, etc.), thought leadership activities, pro bono efforts, events, executive initiatives and more. Assist PR team with writing needs, including drafting/editing press releases, award submissions and other materials, and the creative design team with copy for marketing materials as needed.
· Take raw content describing the firm’s services, practices and attorneys and create compelling prose that effectively promotes the firm’s capabilities while maintaining a professional tone and style.
· Develop innovative ways to showcase the firm, our practices and our lawyers.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
· BA or BS degree (English or journalism preferred).
· Five to seven years of prior experience developing external or internal communications to support marketing and business development needs in a corporate environment, preferably for a professional services firm or PR/marketing agency. Professional print journalism background a plus.
· A writing background in digital media.
· Ability to analyze information/assess issues, and to make and clearly articulate recommendations.
· Capacity to absorb internal information and translate it into persuasive, relevant, benefit-oriented messaging.
· Superior writing and editing skills. Accuracy is critical—must be able to check facts with multiple sources and take responsibility for producing factually correct content.
· Sensitivity to partners and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm’s internal affairs.
· Proven ability to meet deadlines, collaborate and influence others.
· Service-oriented approach: proactive management of expectations, willingness to make adjustments on the fly.
· Ability to think strategically and systemically ("connect the dots").
· Capacity to understand and explain complex issues.
· Comfort with managing multiple projects, priorities and competing deadlines in fast-paced environment.
· The flexibility to work effectively both on a team and independently.
NY Comprehensive Total Rewards Package
Ropes & Gray is proud to offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package to our business support team members. The firm also offers comprehensive health and well-being benefits, personal and professional development, career growth opportunities and a collegial and supportive culture. The anticipated pay range for this role is $79,000 - $117,000, which represents our good faith and reasonable estimate of the starting salary range at the time of posting. In addition, this role is eligible for a discretionary bonus based on performance. The actual offered rate for this position will be determined based on job-related, non-discriminatory factors, including qualifications and experience, geographic location, education, external market data and consideration of internal equity.
· Normal office environment and schedule (currently at least three days onsite per week and, beginning in November, at least four days onsite per week). This is an exempt position; candidate must be willing and able to handle overtime as needed. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. The above job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. Firm management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
About Ropes & GrayLearn More About Ropes & Gray
$127K — $191K *
Today• 5 - 7 years exp
Legal & Accounting
$80K — $100K *
17 days ago• 5 - 7 years exp
Legal & Accounting
$80K — $150K *
17 days ago• 5 - 7 years exp
Legal & Accounting