This position is responsible for enhancing professional practice and the provision of quality patient care in assigned markets and hospitals through various clinical education activities. The Market Director, Clinical Professional Development (MDCPD) will assess, develop and provide evidence-based, quality educational programs and activities that promote professional competency for nursing, inter-professional and non-licensed clinical staff in assigned hospitals. Orientation/OnboardingThe MDCPD actively assesses, develops, leads and collaborates in the development, coordination, managing, facilitating, conducting and evaluating orientation/onboarding process for nursing, inter-professional and non-licensed clinical staff. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Responsible for the orientation/onboarding programs in assigned facilities and collaborates with the team to promote employee retention
- Consistently incorporates innovation to align with organizational goals and initiatives
- Searches the evidence to discover innovative, effective, and efficient practices for orientation/onboarding
- Identifies, communicates and implements cost effectiveness and efficient orientation/onboarding practices
- Seeks out improvement opportunities through analysis of stakeholder feedback and adjust programs based on evaluation results
- Problem solves independently to promote new employee success
- Analyzes data to evaluate effectiveness of onboarding/orientation in achievement of organizational goals, including employee retention
- Role models organizational and personal commitment to new employee success
- Incorporates organizational values/culture
Competency ManagementThe MDCPD is responsible to have the expertise in competency assessment in order to participate in the development, coordination, and managing, facilitating, conducting, and evaluating competency in assigned hospitals. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Consistently incorporates innovative methods to measure and validate competency
- Proactively initiates gap analysis and needs assessment to define new areas for competency assessment and maintenance
- Identifies cost effective and safety in selection of competency assessment methods
- Searches the evidence for best practices (EBP) in competency management and current EBP patient care guidelines based on the practice setting
- Seeks improvement opportunities to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the competency management program.
- Problem solves independently and engages in stakeholders appropriately
- Uses clinical problems to promote clinical inquiry/investigation and improvement, follows through with competency assessment of new/changed skills and concepts
- Analyzes data to evaluate and refine competency management activities
- Continuously scans the environment to proactively identify competency needs.
- Role models competent practice
EducationIn alignment with the HCA and division-defined content development process the MDCPD identifies amd leads the designs of educational activities to address practice gaps for identified target audiences, which may include licensed and non-licensed healthcare personal in assigned hospitals. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Consistently incorporates innovative into educational design
- Continuously scans the environment to identify and analyze practice gaps, plan effective education and evaluate outcomes
- Identifies cost effectiveness in selection of educational activities to best meet staff learning needs
- Searches the evidence and incorporates evidence-based practice into education
- Understands adult educational theory and able to apply to the development of educational programs.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to apply evaluation methodologies, (i.e., Kirkpatrick) into courses and curriculum to refine clinical programs.
- Seeks improvement opportunities and provides staff with resources and education to implement changes.
- Problem solves independently and engages in stakeholders appropriately
- Uses clinical problems to promote clinical inquiry/investigation inn self and in leaners
- Analyzes data to evaluate education outcomes and makes changes as needed
- Aligns education with organizational goals.
- Role models competent practice
Research Evidence-based Practice (EBP)/Quality Improvement (QI)The MDCPD must promote and integrate EBP in order to continuously improve practice in assigned hospitals. In addition, they promote research, EBP, and QI in patient care settings. The MDCPD may conduct, encourage, facilitate, and/or participate in research, EBP, and QI, including dissemination of findings. To meet this expectation activities include the following:
- Continuously scans the environment for trends and follows the HCA and division clinical education development model to make required changes.
- Synthesizes the best available evidence, evaluation data, trends and expectations to guide decision making about changes and improvements of all components of nursing professional development practice.
- Develops, measures and analyzes data to demonstrate impact on nursing care delivery such as patient outcomes, nurse competency, and practice improvements
- Leads quality initiatives to improve education practices
- Leads the implementation of change strategies
- Embraces meaningful change and fosters acceptance, adoption and action toward change in others
- Creates a supportive environment for nursing research, scientific inquiry, quality improvement and evidenced-base practice
- Supports research activities that align with the organizational strategic plan
- Disseminates research findings through educational programs, courses, and other activities
Collaborative PartnershipsThe MDCPD is actively engage with partners to share experience in planning and decision making to achieve the desired results. To meet this expectation actitivies includes the following:
- Leads collaborative efforts to improve educational opportunities in assigned hospitals
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration; initiates collaborative efforts, i.e., with facility Chief Nursing Officer (CNO), Associate CNO, and/or Nursing Directors
- Contributes to organizational initiatives/strategic planning as appropriate
- Communicates professionally using appropriate methods
- Collaborates with division and hospital teams to review outcomes data that may lead to evaluate and refine educational activities in assigned hospitals
- Promotes academic partnerships through such activities as service on advisory boards, teaching, and curriculum development as examples.
Professional Roles DevelopmentThe MDCPD in collaboration with the division educational team identifies and develops strategies to facilitate a continuous process of maturation through lifelong learning. This type of development allows for role transition, role integration, skill acquisition and mastery as learners advance from novice to expert in their professions and specialties. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Role models lifelong learning
- Provides direct reports with career advancement resources and opportunities
- Engages direct reports in identifying and developing the staff for succession planning
- Identifies and provides opportunities for skill enhancement and mastery
- Motivates staff to obtain advanced competency and certification
- Cultivates a superior clinical identity by identifying and implementing evidence-based practices to advance patient safety and quality outcomes. Ensures adherence to standards of care.
- Manages variation in clinical practice to improve efficiency, effectiveness and cost. Ensures a culture of accountability and transparency in the provision of care.
- Stays abreast of internal/external benchmarks, accreditations and designations and actively pursues efforts to achieve.
- Stays abreast of legal and regulatory standards and ensures compliance. Develops and implements policies, procedures and practices in compliance with all legal/regulatory standards
- Ensures equipment maintenance is performed regularly and according to regulatory and/or accreditation standards
- Provides leadership in attaining and sustaining an unparalleled patient experience.
- Instills accountability for providing consistent positive patient interactions that differentiates the organization as a healthcare leader.
- Leverages various feedback mechanisms to benchmark performance and identify opportunities to improve customer/patient satisfaction.
- Develops and implements strategies to elevate the patient experience.
- Identifies opportunities for expansion or development of new services and product lines to promote growth. Identifies stakeholder engagement strategies, technology advances and other opportunities to drive differentiation and increase volume.
- Represents the organization positively within the community; participates in company-supported community/patient events and in-services.
- Fosters a culture that inspires commitment to the vision, mission, and values of the organization.
- Ensures employees are recognized, valued, and supported. Develops and implements strategies to elevate employee engagement.
- Identifies development opportunities or training needs of individual employees and teams.
- Provides coaching, feedback and training to improve performance.
- Builds a competitively superior organization through attracting, developing, engaging and retaining talent.
- Ensures people with the right skills and motivations are in the right role, at the right time, to meet business needs.
- Participates in the annual budget process including input into department revenue and expense forecasts, staffing, supply, and equipment needs.
- Monitors department budget performance, identifies trends and evaluates variances in relation to established budget.
- Develops and implements actions to address performance gaps.
- Ensures effective labor management, including position control, scheduling excellence, productivity management, and premium pay utilization.
- Maintains staffing to ensure appropriate patient care.
- Manages operating expenses including the utilization of supplies and equipment. Identifies cost reduction opportunities and implements actions to achieve savings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Required: Master’s degree in Nursing or Education
- Required: Will consider a Bachelor’s degree in a healthcare related field and current enrollment in a Master’s degree program; A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is highly preferred.
- Required: 5+ years’ experience in acute care facility
- Required: 3-5 years of experience in as a health care education. Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Required: Licensed as appropriate to education in the state(s) in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation.
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Preferred: Nursing Professional Development certification through American Nurses Credentialing Center or Certified Health Education Specialist certification