The Market Development Manager (MDM) for Northern / Central California manages the business development process in their respective region of the country. The goal of which is to efficiently and systematically increase Ace’s market share via our new store growth strategy.
What you’ll do
- Recruit, educate, and motivate potential candidates. This includes sales, the development of a business plan and consulting with existing Ace retailers, new investors and competitor conversion or acquisition candidates. It is the ability and accountability to determine when to say ‘yes’ and (equally important) when to say ‘no’. The MDM is the front line accountability on determining prospect business acumen, character, competence, and financial wherewithal, and finalizing and/or closing the opportunity.
- Execute the technical operating procedures from Interest-to-Application. As the expert in the field, they are responsible for everything from demographic work, trade potential, sales forecasting, site audit, and the expansion area notification process, creating the proforma and securing approval from all stakeholders, executing the letter of intent (LOI), assisting with securing financing, and completion of the Ace membership application following the Standard Operating Procedures.
- “Develop the market”. This position is required to pursue every opportunity in a market as it relates to potential candidates (new investors, existing Ace retailers, conversion prospects or acquisitions), open markets, real estate site possibilities, lender relationships, broker relationships and public relations. The MDM is the lead on creating momentum in a market through the combination of their market diligence and their Ace advocacy with these various stakeholders.
What you need to succeed
- At least 5 years of experience in retailing, franchising, real estate or market development work
- College Degree in business preferred but not required
- Ability to develop, secure, and close a new store and/or conversion opportunity
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong presentation skills to a variety of ‘audiences’ ~ including wealthy investors, real estate brokers, lenders and existing Ace retailers
- Interpersonal ability to create trust, respect and understanding
- Business Acumen – understand the economics of business and retailing (Ability to interpret Business Financials)
- Understanding of the lease negotiation process
- Strong grasp of capitalization and financing opportunities, methods and processes
- Understanding of the balance between the benefit of store density and cannibalization and the resultant ramifications of these on the Ace brand
- Franchise intelligence – understanding of our “franchise” competitors and how to uniquely position Ace against these other investment choices
- Ability to create strong, respected coalitions with Retail Operations including the Director, Regional Manager, Project Manager, and District Manager
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
We want to hear from you!
When most people think of career opportunities with Ace Hardware, they often think of the helpful cashiers and sales associates at their local store. However, have you also considered the people behind the scenes who select, promote, ship and process the invoices for more than 75,000 products? Maybe you haven't, but we'd like you to. Because together we help our customers take care of their homes. Come find out why a career with the Ace Hardware Corporation is one of America's best kept secrets.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ace Hardware Corporation and its subsidiaries are committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military discharge, or any other action covered by federal or state laws.