Position Location: Tuscon, AZ
Reports To: Value Stream Manager
This organization is a premier global supplier of custom, high quality products for the Aerospace and Defense industries. Holds leadership position in this highly competitive environment as a result of its commitment to investment in people, technology, facilities, new products, processes and equipment. Comprised of two market focused groups: the OEM Group and the Aftermarket Services Group allowing the company to provide focused, customized solutions, while leveraging its strengths across every business unit.
Products are found on many major Commercial and Military aircraft in operation worldwide. Products and systems include hydraulic actuation and valve systems, locking actuators, steering metering control valves, fuse pins, hot forged bolts, pneumatic ducting and valve seals, tubing system alignment joints, engine hot section and structural components, airframe components, shock strut bearings, Teflon lined spherical bearings and broad component maintenance, overhaul, spares logistics and power-by-the-hour support services. Also a major supplier of hydraulic control valves to the US Navy on all Nuclear Class Submarine programs.
Purpose and Scope:
Manages resources to meet departmental goals. Priorities include safety, quality, delivery, and continuous improvement activities.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Establish a safety culture where the goal is to prevent all injuries. Be the example.
- Engage all employees in a meaningful safety discussion at daily startup meetings. Coach team to find “near miss” items so they can be corrected proactively.
- Hold team accountable to maintain high 6S standards in all areas at all times.
- Be actively engaged in generating and implementing departmental continuous improvement projects
- Instill “quick problem solving” techniques to address issues as they arise. Lead efforts to identify root cause, make appropriate process changes, and implementation of sustainable long term corrective actions.
- Investigate problems, gather appropriate data, and escalate as appropriate to drive resolution.
- Build quality into the process.
- Maintain workforce skill sets necessary to inspect in process work.
- Work with engineering to develop quality processes.
- Hold employees accountable to established processes.
- Assist Engineering in root cause analysis on process issues and implementation of improvements to prevent recurrence of quality issues and minimize scrap/rework costs.
- Achieve 100% department employee Quality Management System training annually.
- Abide by and enforce quality management system requirements.
- Allocate resources to execute schedule as detailed by planning.
- Develop and implement a thorough cross training plan.
- Track and develop plans to improve employee utilization and efficiency.
- Maintain productive employee relations.
- Recommend and manage staffing levels, including overtime recommendations.
- Review and manage employee performance. At least annually, formally review employee performance.
- Review and approve employee time.
- Assure that machinery and facilities are in good working order.
- Report out metrics as required by standard work.
- Manage departmental budgets.
- Maintain adherence to company policies, safety standards, and good housekeeping practices.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 4-yearEngineeringdegree for 1st shift – (Min. of Associates degree for 2nd shift)
- Minimum of 5years of machining and/or manufacturing experiencerequired – preferably in aerospace industry
- Minimum of 3years of experience as a supervisor required.
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing Principles and demonstrated improvements using multiple tools.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Must be a U.S. Person.
Preferred Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Aerospace experience
- Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or IndustrialEngineeringdegree
- Six Sigma training and certification with demonstrated improvements using multiple tools.
- Exposure to machine maintenance methodologies (TPM, PM, AM).
- Understanding of GD&T
- MRP experience and/or APICS certification
Benefits: competitive compensation and excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, and a company matched 401k plan.