At Katerra, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of Katerra's cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. Katerra does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Katerra encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences
Manufacturing Process Engineer - Caseworks
The manufacturing process engineer will focus on supporting the efficient production of frameless casework. The MPE will be driving process improvement initiatives in all areas of the manufacturing process including concepting, analysis, specification, procurement, installation, commissioning, start up and continuing operations. The MPE will also work with our Advanced Manufacturing Engineers with the design, development and deployment of new innovations and technologies in automation where applicable.
Through the application of lean manufacturing tools and methods, the manufacturing engineer must continually seek out ways to optimize manufacturing processes to ensure that safety, quality, capacity, cost and efficiency goals are achieved. Being knowledgeable of the latest equipment used in the industry and recommending equipment to improve manufacturing processes is a requirement for the position. Experience with RFP and specification development, Factory Acceptance Testing, installation management, commissioning planning and execution, and turn over documentation preparation are essential. Finally, the key element of the role would be to create Best Practices and replicate these standards in other factories after successful implementation in all Katerra manufacturing locations as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Supports manufacturing processes that produce frameless kitchen and bath cabinetry, furnishings and ancillary products
* Coordinates with the Casework Product Development and Manufacturing teams to ensure manufacturing processes support the current product designs, capacity requirements and related assembly, and systems integration.
* Witnesses and approves Factory Acceptance Testing of equipment packages
* Coordinates and oversees assembly and installation of plant equipment by contractors qualified by Manufacturing Engineer including:
o Mechanical installation and alignment
o Electrical and Controls Wiring
o Compressed air, vacuum and dust collection
* Establishes and manages mechanical completion, pre-commissioning, and commissioning of plant equipment including
o Preparation of commissioning and turn over documentation
o Development and administration of acceptance test procedures
* Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; collaborating with equipment vendors.
* Improves manufacturing process efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout through Value Stream Mapping and other lean manufacturing techniques.
* Optimizes manufacturing processes to ensure the highest levels of product quality, manufacturing lead-times reductions and lowest cost manufacturing techniques through the use of lean manufacturing tools; 6S, Kaizens, Six Sigma and Total Quality Management applications as applicable.
* Support the conversion of small-scale processes into commercially viable large-scale operations.
* Monitors and improve the safety, output and efficiency of manufacturing processes through the measurement of key process indicators (KPI's) in support of the overall organization
* Prepare reports, technical memorandums, and recommendations
* Be able to travel 25%+
Required Skills & Experience
* 5-10 years in a manufacturing equipment installation and process enabling/improvement role in a high volume, industrial casework or frameless cabinet production environment.
* Ability to read/interpret construction drawings.
* A working knowledge of lean manufacturing system/techniques.
* Demonstrated experience with installation and start-up of major equipment and line setup
* Unfailing focus on customer service with a proven ability to deliver quality results on-time.
* Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution.
* Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, as well as hourly staff.
* Passion for Katerra's mission and real belief in the company's value proposition.
* Bachelor's degree in process, mechanical, or industrial engineering or related technical field.
* Experience utilizing SAP software platform is desirable.
* Hard working, friendly, highly flexible and adaptive, results-oriented, passionate.
* A self-starter and a team player that will thrive in an organizationally young entrepreneurial environment.
* Intellectually curious and interested in learning all aspects of the organization and the industry.
* Solutions-focused and a proactive self-starter who is always looking for opportunities to improve the organization and solve problems.
* An excellent communicator who seeks first to understand, then to be understood.
* Able to handle multiple initiatives while meeting all deadlines.
* Flexible and able to change directions quickly.
* Data-focused with an incredible attention to detail.
* Exemplifies Katerra Cultural and People Principles.
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity, learning and successfully working in multicultural environments