Google has one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. Your team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure.
As a Manufacturing Engineer, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google's powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you're right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google's infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google's infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
As a Manufacturing Process Engineer in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary group, you will use your creativity and diverse range of engineeringexperience to develop and evaluate solutions to new engineering problems. You will design, develop, test, and qualify solutions in a manufacturing environment, including Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and early involvement with product design teams.
You'll ensure excellent standards of manufacturability, yield improvement, cost reduction/scale, complex mechanical fixture design and test, automation, failure analysis, and advanced process controls.
You will also collaborate with other multi-disciplinary teams to maintain strong functional relationship to co-develop and structure future requirements whilst maintaining clear documentation/communication of goals, risks, status, and prioritized feature requests and bugs.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.
Only one thing consistently stands in the way between our users and the world's information - hardware. Our Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Provide high quality engineering solutions in both process development and mechanical fixture designs to fast track product manufacturing to mass production. Work with contract manufacturers and vendors to prioritize and solve issues.
- Be an expert in design for DFM and influence Product Design and ElectricalEngineering (EE) to improve manufacturability for yield and reliability.
- Collaborate with Product Design engineers and EE to ensure robust design for manufacturing.
- Interface cross-functionally with design and commodity teams in down-selection, sourcing, qualification, and integration of components and vendors used in Google’s products.
- Work with Quality and Reliability teams to define requirements for shipments.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, ElectricalEngineering or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in manufacturing engineering role.
- Experience in developing processes to scale new products, including mechanical fixture designs, with process controls in mind in a rapid schedule.
- Experience driving engineering requirements at vendors and contract manufacturers.
- Experience in display related manufacturing processes and requirements to manufacture in cleanroom environment.
- Experience in multiple consumer product launches in a fast paced production ramping environment with consumer electronics related products.
- Experience in engineering under high-volume manufacturing on NPI and/or Sustaining phase.
- Knowledge of Surface Mount Technology (SMT) process (heat staking, ultrasonic welding, adhesives and dispensing systems).
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Monitoring Systems (MES, SPC, etc) and how to apply manufacturing statistics and design experiments. Knowledge of SAS software (JMP, Minitab), and simple database structure.
- Ability to run simple modifications in 3D modeling software (NX, Creo, SolidWorks, etc). Ability to efficiently drive failures to closure using techniques in data mining and analysis.