Provide leadership and management direction to the Appleton Mill operations to achieve targeted facility and Fine Paper objectives. Priority focus on the safety and value of employees, while driving continual improvement in customer quality, asset efficiency, and cost management. Also, conform to established policies, procedures, guidelines, budgets and/or specifications and applicable local, state, and federal codes and laws.
Support a culture of continuous improvement in Safety
- Accountable and responsible for safety successes/failures in the facility.
- Ensure all state and federal requirements for employee safety knowledge and training are met annually.
Ensure compliance with quality standards
- Accountable and responsible for quality policy and procedural successes and failures.
- Ensure corrective actions are developed for any quality inspection compliance gaps and entered into the Action Register.
- Establish and execute in a planned manner the CAR and PAR items as necessary in the management of quality.
- Ensure fact finding investigation for all workmanship customer complaints with follow-ups entered into Action Register.
Achieve long-term advantage for the Business
- Ensure operational risk assessment and remediation is a daily activity.
- Develop specific annual strategies to improve yield, uptime, and labor efficiency, targeting 6-month project execution cycles for results.
- Leverage data acquisition system to lead asset performance improvement
- Utilize asset-based teams to drive engagement and individual success.
- All completed organic and capital cost savings projects are managed to execution standards and audited for compliance to control plan on a monthly basis
- Leverage data acquisition systems to define employee’s controllable metrics (ie. loss per job, speed compliance, conformance to plan) and ensure reporting in Operations Meetings and communication to crews daily.
Support capital spending to sustain operations, support strategic initiatives and reduce costs while meeting financial expectations
- Lead facility Operations Team in developing, prioritizing, and managing the execution of cost savings initiatives for the facility.
- Achieve targeting cost savings results through urgent execution of organic and capital project execution.
Enhance organizational development
- Manage with a high level of balanced accountability for yourself, direct reports, and hourly workforce.
- Ensure asset leadership resources are focused on strategic asset performance management and operational execution (not Supervisory or Administrative duties)
- Development direct reports and align skills (strategic thinking, project management, leadership) to drive high achievement and accountability through training and succession planning.
- Drive hourly employee development and engagement in key initiatives around safety and cost improvement.
- Participate in cross functional teams to share best practices and improve performance of all assets.
- BS/BA in Related Field or Equivalent Experience
- 5+ Years of manufacturing experience, preferably in pulp and paper
- In depth knowledge of paper manufacturing processes and technology
- Ability to motivate and drive others to achieve results