The Manufacturing Engineer will have manufacturing process ownership of the grid product line starting from the point where components arrive until the assemblies ship to the customer and beyond. This position requires a person to be team oriented, detail oriented, meticulous on process documentation, to build strong working relationships with technicians, to have a passion for training, the ability to work with critical suppliers, understand measurement systems and analysis, and to be able to prioritize and address issues in a data driven manner (6 sigma approach). This position requires the Engineer to be highly organized, detail oriented and data driven. This manufacturing team and business is growing in production volume, complexity and people. Assuring production throughput and product quality is the priority.
- Process ownership: process development, process qualification, process documentation, process improvement. Utilize existing process documentation to learn and monitor existing process. Update method instructions to document current process, process improvements, design changes, customer requests, address quality escapes.
- Work closely to train and qualify technicians on documented process. Conduct process audits. Brainstorm process improvements and validation requirements with entire team. Turn suggestions into completed improvements
- Understand detailed product drawings. Measure existing parts, complete tolerance stack-ups, and compare to design, analyze part issues which need resolution. Strong Knowledge of GD&T and part tolerancing.
- Complete data analysis including measurement system capability and process capability. Institute SPC on processes which require ongoing monitoring. Help to institutionalize data gathering and SPC into daily process.
- Assume responsibility for product test tools. Provide technical support when test tools are down or unable to be serviced by technicians. Identify and implement improvements to test tools to improve uptime, tool matching, and update components to latest part release levels.
- Interact regularly with production team to assure priorities are aligned and issues are being resolved to assure continuity of customer supply.
- Identify and prioritize problems. Develop action plans to address. Assure actions are being completed on plan. Communicate regularly status of plan, actions and benefits.
- Conduct controlled experiments to identify root cause of issues.
- Work with suppliers who produce component parts. Provide guidance on manufacturing or quality related issues. Work jointly on process improvements. Assist quality team in review of supplier capability and assurances of having process controls in place to minimize quality escapes. Assure supplier issues are addressed so as not to affect production deliveries
- Rationalize dimensional characteristics measured by the supplier and accepted, and which require in house measurement.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders including Marketing, Design and Research team.
- Document and maintain Veeco process, documentation, engineering change orders, bills of material.
- Implementation of ECO’s to address process, design or supplier concerns. Assure ECO’s are completed accurately timely.
- Utilize lean and 6 sigma techniques to identify critical issues which need resolution. Utilize structured problem-solving process to identify root cause of problem(s). Use internal process to document root cause and corrective actions.
- Recommend and implement actions to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product. Recommend and implement changes in manufacturing process and equipment to reduce product lead-time and improve product quality.
B.S Degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or related field and at least 5 years of experience or a M.S. degree with 3 years of experience in manufacturing processes is required. Experience with ERP systems required; SAP preferred. Experience with 2D/3D modeling software; SolidWorks preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to define and document processes including process flow, flow charts, method instructions, CTQ items, control plans, reaction plans, process monitoring, metrology requirements.
- Experience in working with production technicians in areas of process definition, understanding, daily process adherence, measurement, and competency verification.
- Experience with metrology equipment (measurement tools and their capability and limitations).
- Working knowledge of Quality systems including (ISO 9001 requirements, CE & POR).
- Understanding of material sciences and experience with use of non-traditional materials such as molybdenum. Forming materials, drilling, secondary machining operations and assembly.
- Practical mindset with strong ability to read and interpret highly technical documents (e.g., mechanical drawings, assembly drawings, bills of material, routings, operating, maintenance, and job safety instructions/procedures) provided in verbal, written or pictorial form.
- Quality training and experience in the following areas highly desirable - Lean, Kaizen, ISO-9000, Six-Sigma, CE, POR Use of statistical tools for data analysis (trails, measurement systems a plus)
- Willing to learn, document, review, teach, train and assist in qualification process for technicians.
- Ability to effectively communicate, written and orally, with employees, Engineering team and technical professionals/consultants.
- Adept in the use of computers, software applications and other technology tools used for the purpose of information gathering, designing, product testing, computation, communication and product documentation.