This position will lead new manufacturing technology projects, champion Best Methods teams and standardization processes. It will also provide support to all areas (Engineering - advanced, program, or development; Manufacturing; Commercial; Quality; etc.) where manufacturing technology expertise is required, including launch support and customer initiatives.
ESSENTIALS DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the design, specification, installation, startup and validation of process control systems, electrical systems and instrumentation for capital and upgrade projects. Ensure site specifications are met and that good engineering practices are followed. Coordinate with other engineers, project managers, and suppliers to assure a complete and timely design and implementation
- Direct more complex group projects - identify, propose and champion creative and constructive solutions articulating the business value created. Monitor and communicate progress on all projects to successfully deliver project scope, timeline and budget objectives.
- Maintain control over systems by assuring maintenance of system documentation
- Coordinate with Operations to identify requirements for process controls, develop control strategies and implement.
- Research new technologies and procedures relative to automation and controls that could be utilized to improve the business and processes.
- Analyze, compare and select equipment best suited for various applications.
- Troubleshoot control and instrumentation systems to resolve complex equipment issues.
- Provide engineering expertise and technical guidance to maintenance to perform repairs, design changes, or other corrections as a result of troubleshooting or performance evaluation.
- Identify areas of opportunity to improve equipment and component reliability.
- Mentor peers and site resources on automation and control systems of production equipment.
- Provide training and technical supervision to instrumentation and electrical personnel for automation control systems.
- Develop preventative maintenance and additional procedures in support of systems and instruments installed.
- Bachelors degree in engineering.
- Minimum 5 years manufacturing engineering experience.
- Extensive experience in tool and manufacturing process development with knowledge of CAD or FEA and functional expertise in application of GD&T.
- Process/application knowledge of processes currently utilized in Manufacturing is required. (i.e. welding, stamping, tubing, assembly).
- Self-motivated with good written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations.
- Ability to lead and function in a team environment, while effectively communicating across various levels of the organization.
- Ability to travel in support of job function (plants, customers, suppliers etc.) ; some overseas travel may be required.
- Experience in an automotive manufacturing facility preferred