About Steelcase Inc.
For over 100 years, Steelcase Inc. has helped create great experiences for the world's leading organizations, across industries. We demonstrate this through our family of brands – including Steelcase®, Coalesse®, Designtex®, PolyVision® and Turnstone®. Together, they offer a comprehensive portfolio of architecture, furniture and technology products and services designed to unlock human promise and support social, economic, and environmental sustainability. We are globally accessible through a network of channels, including over 800 dealer locations. Steelcase is a global, industry-leading, and publicly traded company with fiscal 2016 revenue of $3.1 billion.
We are looking for a Manufacturing Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI.
Steelcase Manufacturing Facilities
Steelcase manufacturing plants are a great Lean environment where we focus on manufacturing processes that blend the latest technologies along with traditional process technologies. You’ll experience assembly processes designed for optimal flow in a build to order model with highly configurable products. This is not your “text book” Lean environment and you’ll be challenged by our advanced application of Lean principles with these product types. We have a tremendous variety of process technologies spanning high tonnage stamping presses, laser cutting of sheet metal and fabric, roll forms, brake presses, laser welding, robotic welding, precision aluminum machining, CNC routers, edgebanders, hot presses, panels saws, sophisticated power coating and wood finishing technology along with custom designed upholstery and assembly applications. Manufacturing Engineers at Steelcase have a tremendous opportunity to drive significant results through the design of new process technologies as we launch new products, cost reduce current processes and continually strive to improve performance of existing processes. You’ll be working for an engineering and skilled trade organization that values a strong collaboration between all Operations functions to ensure we are designing the optimal manufacturing process that is safe, cost effective, reliable and maintainable. Collaboration that is critical as we continue to explore the integration of advanced technologies along with IIoT information and data flow. Manufacturing Engineers at Steelcase are highly respected and considered the “lead” for most major Operations related projects.
With general direction, will lead the introduction of new products into the facility, improve productivity and profitability of existing production procedures, and provide ongoing support through the manufacturing life cycle. Acts as a technical expert in process technology
- 70% New Product Introductions: Lead project(s) with overall responsibility for the implementation and monitoring of new product(s) of broad scope/impact into the plant. Assures that new products meet the established cost/profit targets, that they are implemented per schedules and on budget, and they conform to manufacturing capabilities; Coordinates the establishment of economical processes for new products with other technical areas; Evaluates whether to make or purchase pats/products.
- 15% Improvement Independently, with innovation and creativity, evaluates manufacturing processes to ensure optimal labor and material costs to increase productivity and profitability. Through justifications and evaluations, identifies prime areas for improvement. Tracks expenditures to ensure outlays are within budgeted amounts. Identifies, reduces, and eliminates work exposure(s) to ergonomic stress(es) in the work place.
- 10% Special projects: Leads the implementation of significant product, process, or other corporate change initiatives being introduced into the plant
- 5% Strategic/Manufacturing planning: Provides advanced research to introduce/integrate new processes, equipment, and technologies into the company
- Very strong analysis skills: process, capacity, cost/benefit, waste stream, and quality tools.
- Knowledge in lean manufacturing techniques: flow, PQ, equipment reliability, and set up reduction.
- Facilitation and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of material handling
- Productivity improvement techniques: RCI’s
- Behavior sciences (logic, sociology, etc.)
- Economics and financial analysis
- Work measurement
- Interpersonal skills
- Computer skills; advanced level required to utilize Excel and Access programs
- Experience in design, specification, purchase, and installation of new equipment
- Experience in the Engineering Design Process
- Knowledge of simulation, process modeling, and value stream mapping
- Project management and leadership ability
- Occupational Bio Mechanics/Human Factors Engineering
- Strategic planning
- 4-year Engineering Degree or equivalent education
- Minimum of 5 years work experience within Manufacturing Engineering discipline
Steelcase provides employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status and bases all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.