As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will work closely with engineering design to support all manufacturing efforts necessary to design and build New Glenn integrated structural assemblies. You will be responsible for translating engineering requirements into detailed manufacturing plans, and for identifying and commissioning the tooling, equipment, facilities, and processes necessary to manufacture and test your systems. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
- Participate in the development of aerospace paint and coating systems and processes by working side-by-side with designers and technicians during development and qualification activities.
- Develop and maintain manufacturing plans that include build and flows, time estimates, work center capacity analysis, labor hour estimates, worker skill requirements, hazardous operations and materials identification, facility requirements, and risk identification and mitigations.
- Identify, develop, procure, and commission tooling/equipment necessary for application of paints and coatings.
- Develop cost and schedule estimates for all tooling, equipment, and processes necessary for application of paints and coatings.
- Identify relevant facility requirements, and create work center layouts that meet all production requirements while optimizing operations within available floor space.
- Perform design for manufacturability reviews and PFMEA studies. Work with design engineers to implement changes that improve quality, simplify operations, and reduce cost.
- Develop and qualify processes, controls, and internal specifications necessary for the application of paint and coatings.
- Author work instructions detailing the entire production process including overall work sequencing, hardware kitting, assembly instructions, quality buy offs, in-process verification, and data recording.
- Provide production support to discrepant and emergent issues. Participate in identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving issues, as well as developing and implementing preventive actions.
- Take ownership of product quality by establishing procedures and processes to support continuous improvement and by using continuous improvement tools to reduce defects, cycle time, and waste.
- Manage hardware configuration and maintain pedigree throughout the paint and coatings process.
- Passion for our mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- B.S. degree or higher in Mechanical, Chemical, Materials, Aerospace Engineering or other relevant field.
- 7+ years’ experience as a manufacturing engineer responsible for paints and coatings applications - preferably aerospace assemblies.
- Experience with cryogenic and high temperature thermal environments.
- Experience with electrical grounding techniques in both flight and manufacturing environments.
- Proven experience and success influencing cross-functional teams in a matrix organization.
- Strong written, interpersonal, organizational, and computer skills. Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately at all levels of an organization from executive leadership to the shop floor.
- Experience with work order creation, mBOMs, and configuration management.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with corrosion protection techniques including sealants and their application.
- Experience developing and qualifying processes for paints and coatings in aerospace environments.
- Tooling and fixture design experience.
- Experience with safety critical systems.
- Experience transitioning products and processes from development to production.
- Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma processes and implementation.
- Aerospace/launch vehicle experience.
- Experience with 3D CAD software, preferably CREO.
- Experience with ERP system.