General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineer to join our Electromagnetic Systems (EMS) Group located in Tupelo, MS. In support of the expanding machine shop, and under limited direction, this position is responsible for determining and developing effective approaches for resolving a wide range of difficult engineering problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guides the successful resolution of engineering problems, serves as a consulting resource of engineering knowledge, applies the latest technological advancements to the problem, and may function in a project leadership role.
- Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff, makes technical presentations, and may represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small identifiable projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Develops innovative but practical solutions to advanced technical problems in engineering.
- Provides focal point for technical communication within the Company management and may represent the Company as the prime technical contact to customers and/or government regulatory agencies.
- Presents report(s) at engineering meetings, participates in program reviews and consults on problems. Provides expert guidance and consulting to other staff members working on difficult engineering problems.
- Anticipates future engineering needs and the modifications required to accomplish a technical goal. Addresses complex and difficult technical issues requiring novel and highly creative approaches drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
- May assume technical and engineering responsibility of the success of an identifiable project.
- Directs activities of design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- US citizenship is required.
- Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Strong CNC Machining background is required.
- Must have hands on machining experience including knowledge of fixturing, fixture design, set up and programming.
- Must have experience machining large and small parts including machined fabricated weldments.
- Strong experience in metrology and CMM inspection a plus.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.