LEO A DALY is seeking an experienced, forward-minded design professional with an entrepreneurial spirit, interested in leading and expanding a growing A/E design practice for clients within the Manufacturing and Distribution market sector. The Market Sector Leader (MSL) is responsible for the strategic vision of the studio team, marketing our services and expanding our market presence, advancing strategy, fostering engaged teams, and securing opportunities in the marketplace. The Manufacturing and Distribution MSL will collaborate with other MSL’s across the country to guide our national practice and will directly lead our local expertise in specialized and complex facilities. Specialized and complex facilities include manufacturing and production, research and development labs, manufactured technology labs, food and beverage facilities, and science and nano-technology facilities.
The preferred candidate shall have in-depth knowledge and experience in project development within this market and will possess strong experience and knowledge in design, business metrics and project management/project execution. The candidate, with assistance from the Managing Principal and Client Relations Business Development Specialist, will develop and lead the development of the strategic market plan and grow / manage client relations within the region. Advanced candidates may lead or partner on national level opportunities and project developments and provide subject-matter-expertise to our national studios, dependent upon the expertise and skills of the candidate.
The Market Sector Leader will participate in social, civic, trade or professional organizations which support the marketing of the Manufacturing and Distribution sector and cultivate the firm’s brand through thought leadership, outreach, business opportunity meetings, networking events, committees and associations.
- Create, maintain and update the market’s Business Plan with actionable items;
- Identify and track leads for upcoming opportunities with appropriate clientele;
- With the Client Relations Team, develop and position the firm for responding to RFP’s and solicitations including building strategic teaming relationships, and leading capture planning of key projects and clients;
- Evaluate and complete Go/No-go process of opportunities for AE services
- Lead responses to active pursuits in collaboration with marketing staff and project personnel
- Provide oversight of project teams and assist as necessary to help ensure performance of quality, financial, and strategic goals
- Act as Client advocate and perform other Client support and relationship responsibilities;
- Assist project management by monitoring and reviewing the project performance and technical quality of documents produced in accordance with company standards, policies, and procedures’
- Assist project management in contract negotiations, client relations, and motivation and inspiration of team personnel;
- Perform other duties as assigned or instructed
- Participate in leadership and thought leadership of the Manufacturing and Distribution practice;
- Participate in studio leadership as it relates to firm direction, strategic hires, and market conditions;
- Take an active role in the development of personnel;
- Assist in determining the personnel needs to support project execution in the sector and for individual projects, based upon the current and projected workload
- Assist in the review of performance and work quality of personnel and conduct evaluations on an annual basis or as needed.
- Work with Project Managers in evaluating scope, complexity, and scheduling requirements of projects; validate work planning strategies to ensure successful project execution
Experience / Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Architecture and/or Engineering preferred;
- Professional registration a plus;
- Professional expertise demonstrated through 10+ years of experience in design and leadership of similar projects;
- Strong project portfolio and subject matter expertise in at least one or more of the following:
- Process, production and manufacturing facilities including integration of material handling and conveyance or production equipment systems;
- Distribution facilities including design of refrigerated storage, or automated storage and retrieval systems;
- Specialized facilities including science production, clean rooms, research facilities, laboratories
- Excellent client management, customer service orientation, writing and presentation skills;
- Self-motivated and goal oriented with a professional attitude and personal charisma;
- Business development mind set and strong desire to excel;
- Proven track record of successfully securing A/E related contracts and delivering on them;
- Software proficiency in MS Office and knowledge of Newforma and Deltek Vision a plus.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully both verbally and in writing; ability to coordinate action across geographical locations;
- Extensive working knowledge of fee proposals, negotiations, and contract/subcontract administration
- Progressive ability, capacity and aptitude in administration of plan, organize, supervise and coordinate technical work and to obtain cooperation from others; capable of prioritizing and delegating assignments and responsibilities to all levels of Business Team personnel;
- Effective time management and organizational skills; ability to become involved and promote a number of past, present and future business opportunities;
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues;
- Ability to demonstrate creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in anticipating and solving complex problems, determining program objectives and requirements, organizing programs and projects, and developing strategies for guidance for the development of market sector projects;
- Ability to maintain good working relations with management staff, co-workers, and direct reports; ability to establish and retain high morale with department personnel through frequent communication and interaction; ability to inspire, motivate and lead by example.