We believe that human care comes first. Only when our talent thrives can they deliver their very best to our clients. We are honored to serve agents of change in culture-shaping industries – including cannabis, sports and entertainment, technology and state and local government. We stay at the forefront by empowering the next generation of talent: rising leaders full of big ideas, passionate energy, and purpose to effect real change. Our inclusive culture, competitive benefits, and flexible work arrangements are designed to motivate and inspire our team members to build something special.
MGO is a top 50 CPA and advisory firm of 700+ professionals working remotely and in offices throughout the U.S. and India. Through frictionless digital tools, we address the local needs, and fuel the global ambitions, of clients in 97 countries. MGO is proud to be a “Best Place to Work” and is ranked as a leader by Accounting Today and Inside Public Accounting.
MGO is growing, and we are looking for motivated, hardworking, and dynamic Tax Senior Manager/Tax Director with a strong passion for public accounting and experience with HNW clients to join the team. A career in our public Tax sector will provide you with the opportunities to learn and develop technical skills to prep and execute returns of all kinds and industries.
This Tax Senior Manager/Tax Director is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating, and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues. In this role, the Senior Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues, and recognizing, communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy, and making top-level decisions regarding filing, preparation and resolution of questions from federal / state agencies. In addition, the Tax Senior Manager will be critical member of the office leadership team and actively participate in the marketing, networking, and business development within an area of expertise and specialization while maintaining client relationships and acting as the primary contact for complex questions.
Core Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Leading Managing and Holding People Accountable (LMA)
- Understands and assists in execution of growth strategies (research calls, pipeline management, COPs, etc.)
- Manage the engagement (job) project management, billing, ensures QC (technical) standards
- Takes care of the client (meets deadlines, timely communication)
- Develops engagement team (prepares seniors to the next level)
- Interacts closely with clients to provide innovative tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise.
- Plans, executes, and monitors multiple client service teams, including budgets and production goals.
- Manages federal, state, and local tax audits.
- Provides primary and secondary review of complex tax returns.
- Supervises, trains, develops, and coaches staff and senior associates.
- Builds new and existing client relationships and demonstrates basic knowledge of client's businesses.
- Research and document tax technical issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or another relevant field required
- Master’s degree in Accounting beneficial, master’s degree in taxation preferred
- 6 or more years of prior experience
- Prior supervisory experience required
- CPA license required
- Possession of other professional degrees or certifications applicable to role beneficial
- Experience with Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook), and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with tax research databases such as BNA and RIA
- Proficient in all tax compliance process software including GoFileRoom, CCH ProSystems, Axcess Tax, Engagement, BNA Depreciation Software, or comparable programs and standard tax workpapers
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively delegate work as needed
- Strong analytical, research and critical thinking skills as well as decision-making skills
- Capacity to work well in a team environment
- Capable of developing and managing a team of tax professionals
- Capable of effectively developing and maintaining client relationships
- Executive presence and ability to act as primary client contact for preparation and presentation of issues and resolutions to clients
Why work for MGO
At MGO, we understand that our team members give their very best when they feel fully seen, valued, and supported. Whether you are a seasoned professional ready for your next leadership role, or an emerging talent ready to launch the career of your dreams, we are committed to giving you the tools and guidance to thrive in your own unique way.
What's in it for you:
- Work at the forefront: Our clients are culture shapers and mavericks breaking new ground in competitive and highly regulated industries. They expect us to deliver truly innovative solutions, built on sound accounting fundamentals, and a vision for the future. That is why we celebrate creative problem solving and seek team members with passion for what’s next.
- Culture rooted in human care: Our style of relationship development and service delivery is based on the MGO Way, 26 fundamentals that guide our workplace culture. With a focus on mutual trust, personal responsibility, and an inclusive mindset, we believe there is no limit to what we can accomplish together.
- Where you can build something: As one of the fastest-growing firms in the nation, there is no end to the opportunities to shape a career you are passionate about. We appreciate an entrepreneurial spirit. Bring your passions, your energy and your ideas to build a meaningful experience for yourself and our clients.
- Freedom to give your best: Because you know your goals and motivations, we offer flexible work arrangements, and a progressive time off policy that helps you achieve an optimal work/life balance.
- Compensation you deserve: We are happy to fuel your passion with a competitive compensation and benefits package that rewards hard work and motivates you to go beyond.