Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our approximately 1000 staff members work in 26 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has over 800 consultants, including more than 500 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent's Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice is currently hiring a Managing Engineer/Scientist for our Phoenix, AZ office. The candidate should have 5+ years of experience in the battery industry or a related field with a proven record of program leadership and the demonstrated ability to obtain internal support and/or external funding for new projects. The ideal candidate will possess a well-developed understanding of secondary and primary battery chemistry, cell design, cell manufacturing, and material and battery characterization with particular emphasis on lithium-ion chemistry. Direct experience with battery failure analysis is highly desired. The successful applicant will display excellent written and verbal communications skills, possess the ability to convey complicated technical material to peers and non-technical clients and be able to contribute at a high level in a fast-paced team environment. Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting a well-developed internal client base that works as a team to solve complex, real-world problems associated with the application of batteries across multiple business sectors.
- Managing projects ranging in size from thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars
- Developing an external client base with the goal of becoming self-supporting in 1-2 years and capable of supporting a small team of direct reports within 5 years
- Recruiting, growing and managing junior staff including on-boarding, mentoring and performance reviews
Qualifications for this position include:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in the battery industry or a related field
- Specialized knowledge of electrochemistry and lithium ion or other advanced battery technology is required and experience in failure analysis is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work within and lead multidisciplinary project teams
- Must be able to convey complex technical information to individuals in engineering, business, legal and related industries