You have a proven track record as a content strategist, with a deep understanding of the ways the right content attracts audiences and helps clients achieve their goals and objectives. You provide inspiration, education, and entertainment through content that takes into account SEO, CTAs, and you're where your audiences fit into the overall consumer journey.
The managing editor will help identify and lead editorial projects within our marketing team. Devoted to growing our core audience and building deeper engagement with our visitors, the managing content editor will guide editorial projects across a variety of distribution channels and formats—focused on our blogs, but also utilizing videos, podcasts, downloadable assets, and social media. The managing editor maintains our voice, tone, and editorial style when connecting with students, and works to bring unique story ideas regarding partnered faculty, students and alumni to life.
HotChalk's ideal candidate will always be synthesizing market trends to bring cool new ideas to the table, while being able to take those big ideas and build a business case and project plan to make it happen. To succeed in this role, you must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset and indelible editorial instincts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversee editorial ops—lead editorial meetings, populate and manage editorial calendars (plan topics and asset creation months in advance), edit content from internal and external teams and occasionally write pieces for posting
- Ideate themes and multiple project ideas each month and execute go-to-market plans
- Hire and manage freelance talent—supervise content contributors, maintain SOWs and contracts, and grow our roster of freelance writers
- Attend creative reviews and collaborating with the creative team to ensure timely, accurate, and appropriate copy
- Work cross-functionally to gather input from team members and get buy-in and execution help when needed and independently to anticipate problems before they arise; find solutions and follow up on issues
- Develop go-to-market plans for approved projects, including timelines, resource plans, budget, revenue, and traffic estimates, and KPIs to measure progress
- Develop internal editorial guidelines and training programs as needed to roll out new initiatives
- Measure and monitor impacts of projects and report results to the extended marketing team
- Bachelor's degree in a related field; a focus in English, literature, or communications is preferred
- Minimum of 7 years' experience, including hands-on experience in the areas of project management, marketing, and editorial
- Experience creating and distributing content across a variety of platforms (e.g., video, podcast, downloadable content, influencer, native)
- Experience working in Higher Education or related industry preferred
- Advanced knowledge in the online media and affiliate space
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Strong analytical skills (Google Analytics experience is a plus)
- Strong research abilities
- Experience managing freelance contributors
- Experience building and maintaining budgets
- Experience working with remote teams (preferred)
- Availability to travel one to two weeks per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
Critical skills for this position:
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills for both print and digital assets
- Articulate thinker with the ability to take direction, react quickly, and interact productively during brainstorming sessions
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment where creatives and marketers work together to solve tactical and brand initiatives
- Positive attitude under pressure and a hungry passion for content marketing
- Ability to prioritize workload and multi-task with strong organizational skills
- Must work comfortably within tight deadlines and budgets
- Ability to follow and/or create client style guides
- Must be a true team player that is focused on the "we" results
- The desire to keep building your skills, learning new approaches and strategies, and testing out new technologies (WordPress, WorkFront and Sprout Social experience are a plus)
- The positions requires the ability to work out of our San Francisco or Portland offices
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
At HotChalk, we deliver the transformative power of lifelong learning through innovative, data-driven solutions to our partner schools and the students we serve – because we believe every mind matters.