Managing Editor & Communication Lead - HR People & Strategy
5 - 7 years experience • Business Services
HR People + Strategy (HRPS) is the executive network for the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and serves the executive segment of human resource professionals through events, networking, and relevant resources.
A major part of SHRM’s strategic plan is to engage the executive level of the HR profession. In this role, the incumbent will help shape and manage the development of our flagship publication People + Strategy -- a key and valuable benefit for our members and a significant delivery of thought leadership for the HR profession. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and talented individual with superior communication and editorial skills. The incumbent is expected to have superior diplomatic, organizational and facilitation abilities and the presence to interact with an editorial board, HR executives and other stakeholders.
The Managing Editor & Communication Lead serves as the Managing Editor of the quarterly HRPS Journal, serving SHRM’s Executive Network; develops the scheduling, content, and structure of the journal, acts as primary editor and oversees its production in coordination with design team. Consults with the Executive Director and Executive Editor on overall strategy for the Journal. Participates in key meetings to help determine strategy and execution to carry out the association’s strategic goals and initiatives. This position is also responsible for various other communications of the organization as the Communications Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Serve as Managing Editor and Communications Lead for HRPS, including the People + Strategy journal, managing multiple issues concurrently. Oversees the association’s development of other strategic content development to attract, retain, and grow executive-level membership and engagement with the association. Responsibilities include:
• Manages the entire production process of the journal—from article development to layout, design, and print—for the association’s flagship publication, the People + Strategy journal, including interfacing with production & design managers and ensuring organizational deadlines are met, developing the annual editorial calendar, reviewing articles in preparation for production, posting calls for papers and monitor webpage content, coordinating and reviewing the subscription strategy, managing stakeholders for each Journal issue, managing shared access for each issue, proofreading all content, coordinating author release forms, tracking all issue actions, coordinating with stakeholders on advertising placements, managing meetings for committee and other stakeholders, working with outside vendors to ensure journal is delivered to members and subscribers on time.
• Develops the communication strategy for the association in consultation with Executive Director and SHRM communications team, and manage HRPS member communications, including project management and implementation.
• Acts as a liaison between committee members and content contributors.
• Develops publications in conjunction with association’s strategic partners and oversees the entire publication process—from manuscript development to final print and digital copy distribution.
• Creates high-level communication products and messaging for HR People + Strategy that
furthers the association’s strategic goals and are professional in content and appearance.
• Manages strategic networking at the Annual Conference and Strategic HR Forum to provide opportunities for additional enriched engagement with colleagues.
• Contributes to HRPS website in conjunction with Marketing/ Membership Manager and other stakeholders, including developing and maintaining online content to achieve consistent high quality content appropriate for executive leaders, and ensures content adheres to proper style and branding.
• Oversees all aspects of social media promotion and engagement, including a robust presence on the association blog site and various social media platforms.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or relevant field plus 5 - 7 years of experience as managing editor for a professional publication.
- Experience in writing communications and business correspondence for executive-level audience.
- Experience using digital media.
- Experience working with membership associations preferred.
- Experience working with volunteer committees preferred.
- General knowledge of copyright laws and permissions requirements.
- Proven experience in developing creative, innovative and diplomatic solutions to issues and problems.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative and independent decision making.
- Excellent writing skills for both promotional copy and business correspondence.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with high attention to details and ability to adapt to changing timelines and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills to foster collaboration.
- Demonstrated level of professionalism, positive attitude and ability to motivate others.
- Ability to display comfort and effectiveness in dealing with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to learn new systems.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proven commitment to high quality customer service and high levels of productivity.