The US Government Segment Marketing Managing Director reports to the VP of US Business Marketing and leads the development of marketing strategy, planning and execution for the US Government Segment which includes Individual Family Plans (IFP; Medical and Dental), Cigna Supplemental Business (CSB; Medicare Supplemental Insurance, Accident, Cancer/Heart, etc.), and Cigna Healthspring (Seniors). In addition to a strong background in D2C marketing and running a marketing organization, the qualified candidate will have experience as a strategic business leader with a proven track record in building and running P&Ls. This role is accountable for driving profitable growth via targeted acquisition, retention efforts and margin expansion. He/she will serve as a key member of the Government Business senior leadership team and will support strategic planning efforts as we look to grow these businesses.
The US Government Segment Marketing Senior Director will lead the development and management of a $40+ million marketing budget that includes both online and offline marketing program, and will work across the organization to determine marketing research needs, lead go-to-market strategies for new product launches, drive branding and concept development and lead engagement in the social media space. The Leader will proactively seek synergies / areas of opportunity to integrate marketing strategy and processes across the three lines of business, where appropriate. As a business leader, this role will manage to a P&L and will be accountable for successfully deploying the budget to deliver required growth in membership, as well as managing to customer profitability.
This role will be strongly aligned to the President, Government Businesses and will closely collaborate with the segment leadership teams and the Product/Solutions organization. The role requires a strong strategic mindset, ability to work with and influence functional business partners, cross-segment marketing and Centers of Excellent (COE) partners, as well as an ability to operate in a dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver on acquisition / retention objectives across businesses.
- Develop, lead and implement the Segment’s comprehensive, multi-channel marketing plan.
- Oversee the development and optimization of all acquisition and existing customer campaigns. across all US Government products. Channels include website, SEO/SEM, email, direct mail, Outward Bound Telemarketing (OBTM) and direct t.v.
- Drive the development and execution of value propositions, market positioning, and voice to consumers, agents and affinity partners.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the Segment President and the segment leadership team, be a key influencer to segment strategy and plans with a proactive approach to bringing marketing solutions to the business.
- Lead the direct team in designing analytics to identify viable marketing channels, customer segmentation and targeted messaging.
- Drive customer experience strategy across the government businesses.
- Identify and leverage marketing research and insights to drive future strategy – with a focus on drivers of consumer choice and annual NPS studies.
- Effectively lead a diverse internal team, manage external agencies, and influence internal COEs and US Government business teams to achieve results on investment.
- Ensure strong succession plans across team through selection of top talent, robust development plans and stretch assignments.
Ideal Candidates Will Offer:
- Bachelors degreerequired, Mastersdegree in marketing or MBA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of strategic business marketing experience, ideally in connection with strategic planning, top line growth, market or product management.
- Minimum of 7 years of direct to consumer marketing across various media including digital.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in healthcare/insurance/managed care – specific in depth experience in Medicare Advantage space.
- Highly developed orientation towards Innovation.
- Demonstrated success in creating and achieving business goals.
- Experience managing multiple priorities and executing strategy/initiatives within time constraints, budget and quality standards.
- Ability to leverage executive presence / partnership skills to negotiate and influence senior leaders and matrix team partners across the organization.
- Strong leadership skills, with experience in driving organizational alignment and change.
- Ability to work effectively in dynamic, rapidly changing, team-based environment across multiple functions.
- Demonstrated credibility as a strategic marketer rooted in knowledge and experience, business acumen and successful relationship management within a matrix organization.
- Dynamic leader with ability to lead/manage the organization through change.
- Ability to influence, build and leverage internal relationships.
- Adaptable and flexible; open minded, innovative and creative – seeks ‘out of box’ solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple priorities.
- Excellent analytic and synthesizing skills; superior logic.
- Customer focus.