Overview and Summary
The Managing Director will be responsible for nurturing and expanding the local office client base by focusing on acquiring new clients, managing the office revenue, profitability, and operational metrics as described in Urban Science’s Vision, Mission, and Strategy for 5 years out, 2 years out and 1 year out, which internally is branded “VMS521”. This role will also be charged with providing vision, leadership, inspiration, and challenges to grow the office staff capabilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaboratively works with, Account Managers , Client Services Managers, Practice Managers, Global Practice Directors, Global Account Executives and Regional Account Executives, to develop a strategy and annual budget for the office that will achieve the expected VMS521 objectives for the office and region including revenue, profit, customer satisfaction (NPS) and employee satisfaction (eNPS) goals.
- Contributes directly to the achievement of VMS521 goals by adding new clients to the office client list through building strong client relationships and effectively networking via appropriate organizations.
- Establishes long-term business relationships with clients and develops a firm understanding of client’s business needs in order to lead negotiations to renew, deliver and/or add new client contracts.
- Effectively responds to client inquiries/requests in a timely manner to help improve client satisfaction.
- Frequently interacts with clients to provide consulting advice, design and present proposals, negotiate agreements, renew contracts, assist with decision making and manage client expectations.
- Responsible for adherence to the CRM and deal review PMO process to ensure projects are accurately budgeted for and SOWs follow internal requirements.
- Responsible for accurate review and oversight of the local office budget to ensure account strategy and opportunities are in alignment with the office budget and profitability targets.
- Actively analyzes competitor activity in the market area served by the office, and develops appropriate responses working with the Practice Organization to ensure response to competitive threats in a timely manner.
- Proactively analyzes client pain reports continuously, and capitalizes on appropriate opportunities to create the potential for additional business.
- Actively works with local office management to support and promote eNPS (internal employee satisfaction) initiatives.
- Actively works with local office management to understand and implement solutions to improve NPS (client satisfaction).
- Builds and maintains strong and effective internal relationships to foster collaboration and knowledge sharing across teams and offices.
- Proactively ensures local office has access to or secures all necessary resources to achieve objectives, including staffing, infrastructure, and technology.
- Adheres to quality control standards for Urban Science and client organizations.
- Expertly leads presentations to internal and external clients, using appropriate presentation tools, to effectively introduce ideas/products/solutions and/or present project/office outcomes.
- Actively supports and participates in required Urban Science training programs to achieve targeted development objectives.
- Proactively communicates with upper management to provide updates and report issues in a timely manner.
- Works with Regional Vice President in completing own annual goal setting and performance review in a timely manner.
- Actively leads, supports and promotes change initiatives within the local office, and provides direction on how change initiatives impact work flow or performance.
- Works with manager to prioritize other duties as assigned.
Responsible for all aspects of RSTMM (recruit, select, train, manage, motivate) of selected staff which includes the following:
- Interviewing & selection
- Setting objectives
- Conducting performance appraisals and leading performance calibration sessions
- Merit, bonus & equity compensation analysis
- Assigning and prioritizing work
- Approval of timesheets
- Establish and maintain quality, quantity and timeliness of work
- Employee development, career planning and promotions
- Oversee training
- Coach, mentor, manage and motivate
- Interpret and carry out established corporate policy, including disciplinary procedures
- Responsible for demonstrating effective leadership skills by articulating the company vision, inspiring commitment, exemplifying professionalism, supporting innovation and change, and building strong, collaborative working relationships
Qualifications - Education and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or competency needed for successful performance in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Verbal Communication: Requires the ability to compose and verbally deliver information of varying levels, using appropriate grammar, tone, inflection and non-verbal cues, while also listening to and correctly deciphering verbal communication delivered by others
- Written Communication: Requires the ability and capacity to communicate ideas, facts and data in writing using appropriate grammar, syntax and sentence structure
- Analytical Thinking: Requires the ability to understand a situation by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, and/or tracing the implications of a situation in a step-by-step causal way
- Results Oriented: Requires the ability to strive for optimal results by taking responsibility for timeliness, commitment to task and adherence to performance standards
- Ethics & Integrity: Requires the ability to behave in a trustworthy & transparent manner
- Teamwork & Cooperation: Requires the ability to work cooperatively with others and be part of a team
- Self-Control: Requires the ability to keep emotions under control and to restrain from negative actions or behaviors
- Information Seeking: Requires the drive to gain a deeper understanding of work related issues or events by making a concerted effort to gather information and seek out development opportunities
- Initiative: Requires the drive to go above and beyond in order to improve or enhance job results
- Quality Control: Requires the ability to monitor and check work related information and deliverables ensuring high quality and accuracy
- Customer Service: Requires the ability to understand and help/assist both internal and external customers and meet their needs
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Requires the ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations, individuals or groups, as well as understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
- Conceptual Thinking: Requires the ability to understand a situation or problem by putting the different pieces together to see the bigger picture
- Interpersonal Understanding: Requires the ability to understand other’s feelings and concerns, and to value individual differences in people
- Self-Confidence: Requires the ability to express confidence in dealing with challenging circumstances, in reaching decisions or forming opinions and in handling failures or set-backs constructively
- Organizational Commitment: Requires the ability and willingness to align his/her own behavior with the needs, priorities and goals of the organization
- Relationship Building: Requires the ability to effectively build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks of contacts with clients/customers
- Assertiveness: Requires the ability and intent to appropriately display assertive behaviors to ensure others follow and comply with given directions
- Developing & Coaching: Requires the ability, desire and intent to teach and foster the development and long term capability of one or more employees by providing coaching, direction and feedback to enhance performance
- Strategic Influence: Requires the ability to effectively persuade, convince, and influence others in order to gain support to achieve work related goals/objectives
- Team Leadership: Requires the ability to effectively take a role as leader of a team or department with a desire to help the group achieve business related outcomes
- Database: Requires the ability to understand database concepts related to Urban Science products/solutions
- Math & Statistics: Requires the ability to select and apply the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem; requires basic descriptive statistics knowledge and the ability to understand and interpret statistical analyses
- MS Office: Requires advanced knowledge and experience with Excel, PowerPoint and Word; intermediate knowledge of Visio preferred
- Technical/Software: Requires the ability to understand and work with software tools & packages used by Urban Science
- Time Management: Requires advanced capability to prioritize competing demands, manage multiple concurrent tasks and effectively manage meeting agendas on schedule
- Project Management: Requires knowledge and understanding of project management fundamentals/principles, ensuring their application within the office/organization; requires the ability to keep projects on course and take action proactively to identify and prevent delays/issues
- Sales & Business Development: Requires advanced knowledge and experience with sales and business development processes
- Budget/Finance: Requires advanced ability and extensive experience with interpreting and analyzing balance sheets, income statements, revenues, margins, labor costs, profitability targets and impacts on profitability; requires advanced ability to develop, update and present financial budgets and forecasts (monthly up to one year); requires advanced ability to develop pricing schedules that meet profitability targets
- Negotiation: Requires advanced formal negotiation skills including the ability to explain and justify pricing, scope, cost estimates, as well as internal and external impacts; requires advanced capability to oversee and guide large, complex or difficult negotiations as well as organize and execute a successful pricing and negotiation strategy; requires advanced capability to effectively counter price reduction requests from the client; requires ability to build strong, positive relationships with purchasing; successful completion and application of a negotiation training/program is strongly preferred
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- University degree required; technical degrees are strongly preferred (i.e., engineering, applied math, statistics, applied science, information systems, operations research, etc.) from an accredited college or university, or equivalent foreign institution. Non-technical degrees will be considered if candidate possesses appropriate level of analytical and technical knowledge required for the role; Masters or advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 13 years related work experience required (16+ years experience preferred)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Certification of Consultant in two Practice areas required (or external equivalent)
- Certification of Professional in one Practice area strongly preferred (or external equivalent)
- Management Fundamentals required (or external equivalent)