As Managing Director of Student Outcomes Data and Reporting, you will help lead Teach for America's reinvestment in a centralized Student-Outcomes Strategy that combines multiple approaches to tell the story of our impact on the students we serve. You are a seasoned and dynamic individual who is familiar with all aspects of student-level performance data from the current policies and trends to data collection and storage practices. In this role, you will lead a team that shapes both how the organization engages with top-line data on all critical student outcomes (assessments, value-added, student surveys, etc.) and how it uses this detailed data used to train and support corps members and alumni.You will work with the Vice President, Data, Reporting and Insights, and key leaders across the organization to set the vision for how we collect, store, and share student outcome measures. In the process, you will develop your team into the organizational center of expertise on student data. You will also partner closely with other teams to align and execute on your vision. You will also excel at building relationships and managing multiple stakeholders with competing priorities.
- Qualifications: THE PERSONSet the vision and direction for student outcomes reporting on top-line data on all critical outcomes and on detailed data used to by regions to support corps members in their growth and development.
- Manage the design and production of reports and visualizations thatShare data on fundamental measures of student performance and Corps Member success in the classroom;
- Present information in a way that maximizes insight and action for end users; and
- Leverage sophisticated technical approaches to enable dramatically enhanced team productivity
- Liaise with external partners and peer organizations to learn the current student outcomes and assessment environment.
- Build strong relationships in the student outcomes and assessment community.
- Negotiate data sharing agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements and MOU's with districts and database vendors.
- Partner with the Data Governance team to design protocols for the security and privacy of all student data.
- Work with the data and IT teams to facilitate the collection and storage of student outcome data.
- Represent TFA's presence in the National student outcomes space with potential funders for large-scale student-outcomes data infrastructure.
- Design Key Performance Indicators and metrics for reporting student performance to our regions.
- Develop guidance and training for Regions on how to best engage with student outcome metrics.
THE MUST HAVES
- SkillsStrong experience using statistical software packages (i.e. SAS, STATA, R, or similar) to clean, aggregate and analyze data to extract meaning and insights- Strong preference for SAS.
- Advanced proficiency and comfort using Powerpoint to take complex information and make it easy for end users to interpret; proficiency with sophisticated data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau) to accomplish the same preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including ability to illustrate findings
- Demonstrated success managing a team to strong outcomes
- Fluency with sophisticated data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Microsoft Power BI or SAS Analytics) to provide complex information in approachable, digestible bites- Power BI preferred.
- Strong understanding of statistical methods
- Ability to work in partnership with other teams throughout the organization to achieve shared objectives
- Deep critical thinking and problem solving skills, driven by clear, rigorous logic
- Ability to set vision and direction in dynamic environment, leveraging input from multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Deep commitment to Teach For America's Foundations, including our vision, mission, core values, and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Prior Experience:6-8 years of experience organizing and managing robust data, conducting analysis, and displaying information in ways that drive organizational decisions
- At least 2 years of management or supervisory experience required
- Distinctive impact/progression of increasing responsibility in previous work
- Experience in a school district, CMO, State Education Agency or other role working hands-on with student data is highly preferred.
- Teach For America staff/alumni preferred but not required
- Work DemandsAbility to travel to in-person meetings in various U.S. cities 2-3 times/quarter
- Occasional weekend or evening work is required
- Working with colleagues who are based all over the country – using remote technologies
- Education:Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred (with coursework focusing on data analysis, economics, statistics, mathematics or hard sciences)
The Org-Wide Learning and Strategy (OWLS) team is charged with accelerating our organizational learning and helping to ensure that the resulting knowledge drives strategic and tactical decisions at every level of the organization. We do this through a wide variety of different supports and structures: working with leaders across the organization to define and evolve our organization learning agenda; leading internal and external research efforts; providing consultative support on high-leverage problems of strategy and practice; ensuring that data, analytics, and reporting are driving impact at every level of the organization; organizing our knowledge management work; designing and facilitating regional impact reviews centered on learning; and providing central expertise and consultative supports on how adults most effectively learn, adapt, and change.