The Managing Director, Strategic Capacity Development (Fundraising & Strategy) will develop, lead and direct Feeding America's efforts to provide fundraising and organizational growth capacity-building services to network members. This professional will lead Feeding America's Network Fundraising Services team and will help to craft and lead future food bank capacity-building services. The Network Fundraising Services (NFS) team provides network members with tools, skills, guidance and resources to grow and sustain local fundraising. Additional capacity-building services targeted for development include strategic planning and board engagement.
- Refine and enhance collaborative model that allows deep content experts in fundraising and organizational strategy to successfully implement customized programs designed to increase capacity for individual Feeding America network members.
- Direct teams that function as external consultants in partnership with network members to help build and grow critical strategic capabilities across the network. Implementation of customized services for network members will build on a deep partnership approach that includes: Conducting personal interviews with key internal and external constituents; Tracking quantitative and qualitative findings; Analyzing network members strategic plans, internal and external compliance and capability analysis; relevant functional processes, organization structure, staffing, resources, budget, volunteer structure, and relevant information systems; Preparing written analysis and recommendations; and presenting findings to network member CEOs/EDs, board members and senior food bank staff.
- Lead the development and implementation of capacity-building service offerings around prioritized functional areas; Hire and supervise staff to provide these services to food banks.
- Direct engagement of network fundraising and other senior leaders with one another and Feeding America fundraising and other staff through cohort convenings.
- Develop, direct and implement tools and resources for network members that address both persistent and emerging need in fundraising and organizational growth, including webinars, forums for best practice sharing and professional development workshops.
- Direct the efforts of the Network Fundraising Services staff team, ensuring strategic focus, ongoing service improvement, professional development and space for risk-taking and innovation.
- Facilitate best practice sharing and enhancements to Network Fundraising Services offerings through engagement with peers serving other national federated non-profit organizations; utilize national relationships in development of additional capacity-building services.
- Ensure implementation of fundraising and other relevant data collection and analysis methods that show the network's financial progress toward fundraising goals as well as increasing fundraising program strength and proficiency across the network. Specifically, guide the progress and use of Feeding America's Network Fundraising Index to show growth and sophistication of network fundraising programs.
- Collaborate with other development leaders to offer their expertise to network members across all revenue lines; Corporate Giving, Foundation Relations, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Direct Marketing, Digital Engagement and Philanthropy Operations. Collaborate with senior Feeding America leaders with expertise in strategic planning, board engagement and other key areas in development and implementation of new capacity-building services.
- Lead the development of direct response and digital fundraising capacity-building services for food banks, in collaboration with content experts from Feeding America's Marketing team.
- Lead and manage the NFS Advisory Council and any network advisory groups convened to support the design and implementation of additional capacity-building services.
- BA/BS or relevant experience
- 8+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, nonprofit administration, consulting, or related field
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different backgrounds and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals - Demonstrated experience in learning and understanding complex / evolving mission and strategy goals and then articulating to and engaging organizations in how they can build capacity to achieve those goals
- Leverages Functional Expertise – Ability to proactively and independently manage all aspects of the network fundraising cycle including data analysis, data visualization, presentation development and presenting findings and recommendations for assigned food banks.
- Establishes Vision and Crafts Strategy - Ability to define and implement strategy, structure and process that supports the development of capacity across our highly diverse food bank network.
- Coaches and Develops Talent & Teams – Demonstrated experience in building strong teams through hiring, developing and retaining high-performing talent
- Collaborates Internally and Externally – Ability to collaborate across a variety of internal departments as well as network food banks and engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Communicates Effectively – Ability to successfully communicate vision, strategy and operational goals to internal and external contacts using verbal, written and presentation skills
Required Technical Competencies and Experience
- Strong knowledge of fundraising best practices across Corporate Giving, Foundation Relations, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Direct Marketing, Digital Engagement and Philanthropy Operations.
- Strong knowledge of best practices for strategy planning, board engagement and organizational effectiveness.
- Experience in developing donor strategies, briefing and request materials, solicitation approaches and donor stewardship.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of fundraising and leadership professionals in multiple organizations.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking.
- Demonstrated data analytics and problem-solving experience.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Comfort with travel and working while away from Feeding America's national office.
- Experience as a leader in the Feeding America network preferred.