The Managing Director, Strategic Capacity Development (Food Sourcing & Client Access) will develop, lead and direct Feeding America's efforts to provide food raising and distribution capacity-building services to network members. They will develop and implement strategies focused on providing network members with tools, skills, guidance and resources to grow and sustain local food raising and distribution.
- Refine and enhance collaborative model that allows deep content experts in food sourcing, food distribution and agency relations to successfully implement customized programs designed to increase capacity for individual Feeding America network members.
- Direct teams that function as external consultants in partnership with network members to help build and grow critical strategic capabilities across the network. Implementation of customized services for network members will build on a deep partnership approach that includes: Conducting personal interviews with key internal and external constituents; Tracking quantitative and qualitative findings; Analyzing network members strategic plans, internal and external compliance and capability analysis; relevant functional processes, organization structure, staffing, resources, budget, volunteer structure, and relevant information systems; Preparing written analysis and recommendations; and Presenting findings to network member CEOs/EDs, board members and senior food bank staff.
- Direct the design, piloting and refinement of food sourcing capacity-building services for food banks while maintaining and building off of long-standing food sourcing-food bank collaborative relationships; Direct the design, piloting and refinement of services that grow network agency capacity and food bank capacity to deliver food directly to clients.
- Craft roles and hire staff to implement food sourcing and client access capacity-building services.
- Direct engagement of network food sourcing, operations, programs and agency relations leaders with one another and Feeding America supply chain staff through cohort convenings.
- Develop, direct and implement tools and resources for network members that address both persistent and emerging need in food sourcing, distribution and agency capacity growth, including webinars, forums for best practice sharing and professional development workshops.
- Ensure implementation of food sourcing and distribution data collection and analysis methods that show the network's progress toward meals goals as well as increasing operations strength and proficiency across the network.
- Collaborate with other supply chain, programs and research leaders to offer their expertise to network members.
- Recruit and manage the engagement of network advisors to food sourcing and client access efforts.
- BA/BS or relevant experience
- 8+ years of experience in food sourcing and distribution
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different backgrounds and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals - Demonstrated experience in learning and understanding complex / evolving mission and strategy goals and then articulating to and engaging organizations in how they can support those goals.
- Leverages Functional Expertise – Ability to proactively and independently manage all aspects of the network supply chain including data analysis, data visualization, presentation development and presenting findings and recommendations for assigned food banks.
- Establishes Vision and Crafts Strategy - Ability to define and implement strategy, structure and process that supports the development of capacity across our highly diverse food bank network.
- Coaches and Develops Talent & Teams – Demonstrated experience in building strong teams through hiring, developing and retaining high-performing talent.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally – Ability to collaborate across a variety of internal departments as well as network food banks and engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Communicates Effectively – Ability to successfully communicate vision, strategy and operational goals to internal and external contacts using verbal, written and presentation skills.
Required Technical Competencies and Experience
- Strong knowledge of all aspects for food supply chains including food sourcing, distribution and transportation.
- Experience in developing supply chain strategies and implementation plans.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of supply chain professionals in multiple organizations.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking.
- Demonstrated data analytics and problem-solving experience.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Comfort with travel and working while away from Feeding America's national office.
- Experience as a leader in the Feeding America network preferred.