KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions – Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
The Managing Director of Primary Schools is responsible for assisting in building the capacity of school leadership teams to improve the conditions of teaching and learning in primary schools. The director will have recommendation and approval- making power to address day-to-day academic and operational school issues and will be responsible for ensuring that KTX’s mission and goals are achieved.
Collaboration with multiple departments to ensure consistency of practice and use of resources will be essential as this position works continuously to improve the skills and knowledge base of primary school leaders.
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Uses aspects of principal coaching and supervision to develop a vision for highly effective primary school leaders in the domains of instructional leadership, vision and function, values and mindset, and service and engagement alongside school management
- Analyzes academic performance of primary schools and correlates day-to-day decision making of primary school operations and instruction with outcomes for students
- Analyzes school innovation and improvement plans to promote high student achievement and growth, increased active engagement of students, and principal professional learning.
- Coordinates primary schools to promote a rigorous academic program of studies, superior student achievement, and continuous improvement of results for all students.
- Collaborates with the Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Team to craft the vision for GVLC in primary schools.
- Coaches and supports primary school managers and leaders in goal setting, planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of action plans that will guide school leaders in meeting their instructional leadership objectives and for their schools to meet performance targets
- Plans and leads high quality and relevant learning experiences for primary school managers and school leaders to guide the implementation of effective instructional programs
- Conducts regular formal and informal classroom walk-throughs aligned to student achievement and strategic goals alongside the Curriculum Team and School Management Team.
- Provides feedback on successful leadership practices, such as effective management of instructional staff, use of data, and establishment of school culture alongside school management teams.
- Attends school-based meetings and events to foster a culture of engagement with staff, families, and community
- Builds the instructional leadership capacity of school leaders with particular focus on instruction, data analysis, aligned interventions, community, and culture
- Creates a culture of inquiry and mutual accountability among the primary leaders
- Visits schools on a regular basis to monitor day-to-day operations
- Models non discriminatory practices in all activities
- Initiates and maintains effective liaisons to maintain a current knowledge of developments and research in the profession
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the CAO or Deputy Chief or other appropriate leader
Skills and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required)
- Must possess at least five years of primary school leadership and possess extensive experience in the field of public education to include classroom experience and supervisory/administrative experience.
- Must possess budget planning experience.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices, and current issues in the provision of public education programs and services.
- Must possess a demonstrated knowledge of state/federal regulations and accreditation requirements governing public education program.
- Must possess excellent leadership, supervisory, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, paraprofessionals, school administrative staff, parents, guardians, the community, and central office administrative staff.
- Must possess excellent leadership, management, and communication skills.
- Must possess experience supervising and providing performance feedback professional staff, managing budgets, and developing and interpreting student population projections and teacher allocation.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills are required.
- Must possess the ability to speak effectively before large groups and high level executives.
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.