Managing Director of Development, East Region
Washington DC or New York City
Our Client is a privately owned global real estate investment, development and management firm with a presence in 20 countries and just under $100 billion assets under management. They have 114 developments currently underway around the world, and historically, has developed, redeveloped or acquired 1,205 properties, totaling over 390 million square feet.
Our client is looking for a senior, experienced, and hands-on Managing Director (“MD”) to manage the Company’s activities in the East Region metropolitan area composed of Washington DC, Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia. The MD will be responsible for the implementation and execution of regional development transactions, including coordination and communication with venture partners and will manage the Company’s efforts to identify, process, and close new development transactions; oversee the construction of active projects; and play an active role in the management and disposition of completed developments. The successful candidate will interact and coordinate with each of our Client’s City Heads & CEO, East Region and Research teams gaining consent and approval prior to review by their Investment Committee.
- Identify, originate, execute, lead and manage all aspects of suburban and urban multifamily development in the East Region metropolitan market.
- Develop, manage, nurture and collaborate with land owners, brokers, lenders and other deal source networks.
- Maintain productive relationships with architects, attorneys, engineers, government officials, vendors and community partners to originate and execute multifamily projects.
- Manage and maintain a pipeline of land for new development.
- Knowledge of and involvement in current multifamily deal flow in the East Region.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and overcome development challenges in high barrier to entry market.
- Follows procedure and protocol. Focused level of attention and concentration to the tasks at hand.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform financial analysis including underwriting, GMP contracting and budgeting.
- Effectiveness of both written and verbal skills. Communicates and/or understands instructions, sells ideas, obtains acceptance and action. Accurately informs supervision and subordinates of important developments.
- Ability to understand and explain economic and accounting information, prepare and manage budgets and make sound long-term investment decisions.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness and independence in carrying out responsibilities and assignments.
- Enables success in both employees and peers through mentoring, coaching and decisive administration.
- Makes systematic use of organizational systems and processes. Takes an organized, logical approach to thinking through issues.
- Regularly exercises independent judgment and decision-making to resolve day-to-day operational issues
- Applies learning to new situations.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of multifamily real estate development experience along with knowledge or development best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute successful projects completed on schedule, on budget and with high quality and significant community impact.
- Strong negotiating and collaboration skills as well as sound political judgment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel; knowledge of Timberline software a plus.