Job Description Summary:
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) will serve as a member of the executive leadership team and will be responsible for leading the end to end Information Technology function. This role has a global mandate and is responsible for ensuring that the technology, infrastructure, products and services are modernized for the future, support the internal and external needs of the organization and are delivered seamlessly and consistently across all the various constituents in the 165 countries that CFA conducts business.
The IT Organization is comprised of approximately 80 talented individuals who focus on the infrastructure, architecture, application development, business process reengineering, networks, outsourcing, and computer and auxiliary operations. A well-defined IT strategy and transformation initiative, termed the Digital Core Transformation (DCT), is in place and guides the efforts of this team and ensures our technology platforms, processes and practices optimally support the organization's mission and meet the technology needs of internal and external clients. The implementation of DCT is not complete. This creates an exceptional opportunity for an information and technology expert to make meaningful contributions to this growing, global organization by ensuring the successful implementation of DCT, as well as identifying and making necessary changes that will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the initiative.
Critical to success in the role is the ability to: Maintain and develop a broad technology vision for the organization that is in alignment with the needs of the CFA, its societies and members. S/he must translate that vision into a pragmatic and cogent strategy. S/he must flawlessly execute against the strategy on time and on budget. Underlying all of these responsibilities are creating a collaborative culture in the technology organization that consistently trains, supports and challenges employees to achieve greatness.
The position will be headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia and will be supported by the Chief Executive Officer.Job Description:
- Maintain focus on and implement the IT strategic plan to support the organization's mission and enable the achievement of goals and objectives for CFA Institute.
- Evaluate the DCT transformation initiative in light of organization goals/objectives, customer needs and the overall IT strategic plans. Make any adjustments necessary to optimize effectiveness and success.
- Partnering with colleagues, ensure the successful execution of the organization's Computer-based Testing transition goal.
- Create a unified technology experience across all entities and societies, with a similar look, feel and function.
- Assess the data gathering needs of the organization and partner with business colleagues to develop a data strategy that will inform future decision making.
- Partnering with Regional Leaders, gain a clear understanding of regional needs and build IT operational support and development capabilities to better deliver on those needs.
- Evaluate changing trends in the market and new technologies in order to advance the market position of the IT organization for the future.
- Actively participate on the CFA Leadership Team, helping drive overall CFA Institute strategy, direction and achievement of mission objectives.
- Identify and employ operational measures and metrics to evaluate efficiency, effectiveness and performance trends for IT systems availability and performance, information security standards, key business processes and transactions and overall customer satisfaction.
- Improve information and data security features within the technology environment.
- Flawlessly deliver against stated commitments to the business and proactively and continuously solicit customer feedback.
- Communicate technology strategy and solicit 'buy-in' from the Board of Directors and/or other executive committee members.
- Implement agile technology development processes and adjust products/services when necessary.
- Form partnerships with third-party providers to supplement internal resources as needed.
- Manage and execute the agenda, operations, and decisions of the IT Governance Committee.
- Develop and sustain a team of highly qualified IT professionals, upgrading the level of technical skills currently available in the organization while actively promoting a culture of collaboration, transparency, and accountability.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Deep content knowledge in IT best practices with the proven ability to manage people while successfully delivering technology strategies across a similar organization; able to implement structure and governance processes to effectively balance business and technology risk.
- Ability to lead and manage a global team while building a coherent culture across infrastructure, development and support teams; a global cultural orientation and working experience is also highly desirable.
- Experienced in transforming core business processes, driving innovation, redesigning process and implementing new project management methodologies.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related discipline required with a preference for candidates with an MBA or other advanced degree.
- Full time in the office
- Energy to put in the hours of concentrated work necessary to achieve goals while maintaining a positive attitude
- Some global travel may be required; approximately 20 percent of the time
- Strategic – Connects ideas, resources and processes, with an outside-in perspective, to define winning solutions; employs a broad, global perspective and digital mindset to disrupt and transform
- Courageous -- Actively listens, asks questions, develops an independent conclusion and is willing to challenge the popular view for the betterment of the organization
- Authentic -- Reflects one's true self in all situations; clearly says what they mean and does what they say they will do
- Talent magnet -- Understands a candidate/employee's capabilities and matches those to the appropriate role/assignment; seeks out diversity of thought and experience; invests in development; mentors and coaches for success; builds and rewards high functioning teams
- Growth mindset -- Learns and grows through experimentation and failure; embraces challenges with persistence and resilience; demonstrates a willingness to risk failure and sees it as a key learning opportunity
- Accountable -- Understands role and takes full ownership of their own, their team's, and the organization's success or failure; achieves efficient, timely, quality results through the effective leadership of others
- Agile – Navigates complexity, challenges and ambiguity with confidence; creates an environment of learning to drive optimal outcomes; employs a continuous improvement mindset; encourages rapid, flexible response to change.