Equinix is one of the fastest growing data center companies, growing connectivity between clients worldwide. That’s why we're always looking for creative and forward thinking people who can help us achieve our goal of global interconnection. With 200 data centers in over 24 countries spanning across 5 continents, we are home to the Cloud, supporting over 1000 Cloud and IT services companies that are directly engaged in technological innovation and development. We are passionate about further evolving the specific areas of software development, software and network architecture, network operations and complex cloud and application solutions.
At Equinix, we make the internet work faster, better, and more reliably. We hire hardworking, passionate people who thrive on solving hard problems and give them opportunities to hone new skills, try new approaches, and grow in new directions. Our culture is at the heart of our success and it’s our authentic, humble, gritty people who create The Magic of Equinix. We share a real passion for winning and put the customer at the center of everything we do.
The Managing Director, Canada will be responsible for defining the strategic vision to develop the enterprise market, provide a strong network of decisionmaker contacts in the prospects, customers and channel partners, providing thought leadership to accelerate new business and revenue growth and protect the strategic accounts in key markets and attract top talent. The Managing Director, Canada will also play a key role in integrating new assets and employees to Equinix, as well as scaling and positioning the business for continued growth in the Canada market.
Develop the Market
- Drive the market development for Canada.
- Own the 5 year vision for Canada, market opportunity and competitive position
- Lead development of a 1-3 year metro strategy plan for each metro, to include objectives for retail verticals, networks and hyperscale
- Partner with Corporate Development / Commercial Finance / Sales, to develop, drive and execute the market development plan and metro strategy
Lead the Team
- Lead the market cross-functional team, ensuring end-to-end alignment. Responsible for a matrix structure for the country business across Operations, Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, Finance and HR.
- Inspirational leadership of the country team to deliver the Equinix strategic goals whilst securing high employee satisfaction and strong engagement of the team, including a strong sense of ‘I’m safe, I belong, I matter’.
- Nurture, represent and grow the Equinix culture
- Identify, motivate, sponsor, develop, and highlight key talent
- Oversight of market execution including financial performance
- Lead Managed Services business in Canada
Sell the Platform/Evolve the Business
- Identify and mobilize actionable strategy with key/strategic customers, channel partners and Strategic Alliances
- Build strong relationship with government bodies, press and industry analysts/investors
- Provide competitive market insights to commercial solutions on deals/opportunities
- Provide counsel on complex deals and business decisions
Contribute to region and global success
- Support/Lead Global/Regional projects and programs (churn mitigation, AR/AP escalation, fabric adoption, DI&B)
- Align and represent global/regional strategy; Contribute to the development of Equinix’s strategy in the region and globally by representing the specific market requirements of the country within the company.
- Achieve regional P&L; Monitoring local P&L and developing action plans with the relevant teams.
- Influence Equinix strategic decisions and execution in country and across region.
- Provide local business expertise to shape strategic decisions.
- Represent Equinix to customers, analysts, government bodies, etc. (ambassador and spokesperson).
- Serve as spokesperson, figurehead and evangelist for Equinix in the region.
- Carry out all statutory obligations of Equinix
- Play an active role as the country representative on the regional leadership team.
- Ability to determine and present clear strategic direction for the country market with the emphasis on enterprise/retail business through channel partnership.
- 15+ years of demonstrated track record in general management as a MD or enterprise sales leader.
- Expert knowledge of the Canada market
- Proven and entrepreneurial General Manager with previous P&L responsibility, and ideally with experience gained at a US/international technology company.
- Knowledge of the business challenges facing enterprise executives that are driving needs for interconnection services.
- Experience of selling to a whole spectrum of industries including network and mobile providers, cloud and IT services, content providers, financial services, automotive etc.
- Experience of establishing and scaling direct enterprise sales and partner models.
- Proven ability to see the ‘bigger long-term picture’ and think strategically while achieving short-term results.
- Experience with recurring revenue, sales complexity, solution selling, readying platforms for B2B.
- Respect for the Equinix culture, demonstrated through own behavior and that of team.
- Proactive, collaborative and able to work comfortably in a non-hierarchical context.
- Ability to work autonomously in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; fluency in English and French.
- Preferably degree or equivalent, probably in a technical discipline. An MBA is an advantage but not required.