The Managing Director will contribute to the success of a portfolio of clients, agency success and be responsible for functions including general marketing, agency services, business development, major account team leadership, client retention and growth, top-level client relationships, and bottom-line accountability for assigned expense categories. As the on-the-ground agency leader, he/she will also serve as its face to the business leaders with the clients in his/her portfolio. S/he is responsible for maintaining and growing strategic business relationships with clients, as well as leading, managing and mentoring a team of talented B2B marketing professionals (Account Directors and Account Managers).
The Managing Director provides proactive sales and marketing solutions, with a key focus on defining and delivering on value propositions for new and existing clients. Through an in-depth understanding of the client’s business, the Managing Director develops solutions to the client's priorities, driving usage of our services and building a trusted and long-term relationship with the client. In partnership with executive leadership, the Managing Director is responsible for identifying opportunities to expand and deepen client relationships, increase revenue, and ensure client retention and referral.
In summary, the Managing Director will:
- Fiercely seek to stand in the shoes of our clients
- Be an expert in each client’s business and Bulldog’s capabilities
- Demonstrate competency at critical thinking & problem solving.
- Understand, interpret and identify opportunities through understanding financial statements and business priorities articulated by our clients and prospects.
- Own, manage and expand a portfolio of enterprise clientele
- Staff, manage and develop a team of client service professionals in support of the portfolio
- Manage, develop and expand a portfolio of enterprise clientele
- Supervise the staffing and development (career path, coaching, performance plans) of Account Directors and Account Managers to support portfolio
- Advise senior clients and build trusted relationships by delivering engagements that exceed expectations, demonstrating a strong ROI and leveraging thought leadership
- Lead strategic planning, quarterly business reviews and client planning for all assigned clients
- Generate strategic marketing program ideas, scope project requirements and oversee the implementation of marketing initiatives
- Define each client’s demand generation strategies by aligning overall business objectives with best practice strategies and tactics
- Conduct research and closely monitor intelligence about clients, client industries and/or markets and competitors, and upcoming contracts and procurements
- Ensure marketing strategy is aligned to meet each client’s business objectives and challenges
- Manage a revenue growth plan for each client while ensuring timely and profitable execution of client programs
- Oversee creation and management of proposals, SOWs, change orders and POs
- Attend key client deliverable meetings and lead regular planning and review sessions with clients
- Collaborate with Bulldog delivery teams to define and execute on engagements ensuring client success; act as the voice of the client inside Bulldog
- Serve as the highest escalation point on major account roadblocks or risk factors and work collaboratively to resolve issues quickly
- Senior-level experience in consulting, marketing services and/or corporate marketing, working at C-suite level; comfort driving sales and building new C-suite client relationships is a must
- Leadership in corporate and/or agency-side marketing experience with an emphasis on B2B demand generation and marketing strategy
- Expert marketing experience – high level of experience in use of personas, content strategy, user experience, analytics, social, SEM and mobile
- Expert knowledge of integrated, multi-channel marketing (email, social, direct mail, TV and print) and digital disciplines (e.g., audience identification and analysis, targeting, experience design, digital production and measurement)
- Strong management experience providing guidance to a large team and ability to manage at all levels of an organization
- Excellent organizational skills – must be able to manage multiple, competing priorities with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Exceptional communication skills – create open and ongoing dialogue with clients and internal team members; extensive presentation experience a must
- Business strategy, communication, presentation and networking skills sufficient for C-level client contact and relationships
- Strong understanding of sales and marketing technology (CRM, Marketing Automation) and technical proficiency (MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, and general computer and web technologies)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Advertising, Marketing or relevant Liberal Arts degree is required (MBA preferred)
Working Conditions (Physical requirements and office environment)
Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Activity: while performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Hearing: within normal limits with or without use of corrective hearing devices. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Vision: close visual acuity to perform extensive reading, analyze data, and to view computer terminal with or without corrective lenses.
- Manual dexterity of hands/fingers for writing, computer input.
- Work Environment: works indoors protected from weather conditions; temperature controlled environment