Booking Holdings Financial Services (USA), is looking for an experienced Managing Director (MD) with hands-on experience in leading and executing Payments and Money Transmission strategies. This new role will be a critical business partner helping to enable our mission to deliver a world-class payments operation to support BKNG’s, travel brands in the USA.
The MD is in charge of day-to-day management and has operational responsibility for BHFS-USA. The MD is the face of the company and will represent the firm externally with regulators, suppliers, and other internal and external stakeholders.
The MD will therefore engage and communicate effectively with colleagues, investors, and customers. The MD will also be responsible for the culture of the business. He/she will coach and challenge the other members of the management team and board. As a board member, the MD will oversee and ensure that the tasks and duties of the board are conducted in an orderly and compliant manner. The MD will also ensure that the Statutory Board is well informed.
The MD will oversee the functions and the performance of the management team. Collectively, the management team is responsible for the preparation, execution, monitoring and evaluation of decisions of the board.
The MD will support directly a dynamic organization of executives and professionals who are responsible for bringing products to life across BKNG’s US portfolio of brands, and making an impact on millions of travelers every day.
The role demands an individual with deep experience in specific relevant areas of financial services (payments) regulation. This opportunity represents an exceptional chance to embed yourself with one of the world’s most exciting organizations and help define the future for accessing travel experiences across the world.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Reporting to the CEO of Booking Holdings Financial Services (BHFS) you will be responsible for all matters related to BHFS-USA. You will, as required, work directly with Senior Management and key stakeholders across the business.
- You will have a good understanding of legal principles applicable to payments and risk, including the payments ecosystem (e.g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, risk vendors, etc.), regulatory implications (e.g., stored value, money transmission, other payment types, and regulatory matters) and consumer protection laws.
- A deep knowledge of major payment network rules and processes and experience dealing with major payment networks is an important aspect in this role.
- Strong regulatory background, and experience dealing directly with government agencies and regulators in the United States of America.
- You will possess excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills.
- You will provide strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with key partners and the commercial aspects of our payments operation.
- You will be a team-player, interested in building out a state-of-the-art organization to support the expanding needs of a growing, international business.
- You will have responsibility for general and day-to-day management in the USA and have responsibility for implementing and growing a diverse and high performing local team in collaboration with the respective leaders at BHFS.
This position requires the following experience:
- Significant experience in senior management and proven experience as a MD at regulated payment or e-money licensed institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in scaling a business in a dynamic environment, e.g. in a fintech environment.
- Deep knowledge of payment products such as e-money wallets and other payments services.
- Affinity with the travel industry.
- Significant experience managing cross functional teams.
This position requires the following level of education:
- Academic degree or equivalent level demonstrated in relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of payments sector.
- Knowledge of business development and implementing corporate strategy.
This position requires the following competences:
- Visionary leadership
- Strategic thinking
- Coaching capacities
- Commercial skills
- Entrepreneurial mind-set
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
- Balanced decision-making
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to drive change and win hearts and minds
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively manage conflicting priorities
- Excellent writing, communication, verbal and written, and organizational skills
- Eager to learn new technologies and ideas. Comfortable navigating complicated and nuanced issues
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a fast paced team environment