It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they are doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
Key member of the Services and Solutions Regulatory Team, the Managing Legal Counsel is responsible for providing strategic legal and regulatory advice on issues related to state and federal insurance laws and regulations applicable to all of Cigna's domestic businesses. The Managing Counsel will act as an advisor on all legal issues involving assigned laws and regulations and will oversee the team that is responsible for: the intake, assessment and implementation of assigned laws and regulations; provision of advice related to those laws and regulations; the development of the company’s external policies related to those laws and regulations in conjunction with Government Affairs; the negotiation of any issues or concerns related to Cigna's ability to comply with those laws and regulations; and, in partnership with Enterprise Compliance, the remediation of significant issues related to Cigna's non-compliance with those laws and regulations.
In addition, the Managing Counsel will become the primary point of escalation for other regulatory issues that require interaction with state and federal regulators coming from other areas of the Services and Solutions Regulatory Law team. As such, the Managing Counsel must partner effectively with colleagues in Enterprise Compliance, Cigna Legal, and business areas the organization to ensure that legal and compliance risks are mitigated effectively.
- Develop and lead a team of high performing attorneys with deep legal and operational subject matter expertise.
- Responsible the development and implementation of a process to ensure consistent interpretation and implementation of laws and regulations across all of Cigna's domestic businesses.
- Review regulations (existing and proposed) and provide practical advice about the impact to Cigna's operations.
- Serve as leader of team primarily responsible for conducting all legal research and analysis of federal and state legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee implementation of solutions required to meet applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Assist with internal and external federal, state and industry regulatory activities.
- Work closely with, and provide advice to, other Legal teams responsible for the counseling business partners related to strategy and operations.
- Juris doctorate degree
- Bar membership
- 8+ years of legal experience, preferably in corporate, transactional, or regulatory work.
- Experience in health or life insurance, healthcare, and / or financial services industries preferred, with a working knowledge of health insurance business and regulatory principles.
- Ability to think strategically and assist a business team by predicting, mitigating and avoiding legal risk.
- Ability to work independently as a lawyer, and successfully contribute and lead as a leader of the Regulatory Law team.
- Ability to work effectively in complex matrix reporting structures.
- Ability to learn quickly on the job in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including legal drafting and ability to apply law to business needs.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to analyze regulatory and business information, determine cost/benefit, and provide compliant solutions and recommendations.
- Ability to work on legal issues without clear legal precedent and advise accordingly.
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a willingness to learn new things.
Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status.