The Staff Counsel department is looking for a Manager for its Baltimore, MD office. The successful candidate must be able to, under general supervision, manage all Staff Counsel office activities relating to defense of lawsuits against GEICO insureds in liability suits, and on behalf of GEICO in subrogation, UM/UIM and PIP suits filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
1. Manages subordinates in all activities relating to defense of lawsuits and against GEICO insureds in liability cases, and on behalf of GEICO in UM/UIM, PIP and Subrogation suits.
2. Interviews and/or approves job applicants for employment. Conducts and/or Reviews associate Performance Appraisals. Initiates or approves salary adjustments, performance ratings, and other personnel changes. Counsels associates and takes disciplinary action of associates as appropriate.
3. Represents GEICO insureds in liability cases, UM/UIM and PIP suits filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
4. Researches laws and prepares legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. Renders opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department. Prepares and handles pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath. Defends all assigned matters by trial, arbitration, or mediation, as applicable. Meets deadlines to respond to pleadings, and correspondence; appears timely in court, arbitrations, depositions, meetings and other scheduled matters.
5. Trains and Supervises less experienced attorneys and support staff, including assisting attorneys as first and second chair counsel, and/or observing attorneys at trials and arbitrations; Monitors all applicable bar requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (?CLE?) requirements; Conducts file audits and provides feedback on quality of file handling and expense management.
6. Travels to attend trials, hearings, arbitrations, depositions, management meetings, and conferences.
7. Reviews office reports and implements changes to improve office statistics, including timeliness of reports to clients, productivity reports, client and claims survey results, closure ratio, dependability ratio, and subrogation results.
8. Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies, and operating principles.
Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions , and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
Must have at least 10 years of experience in personal injury litigation, preferably in Maryland, and demonstrated sufficient trial ability as the attorney with primary trial responsibility in cases of high severity and complexity. Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
Must demonstrate successful performance in handling primary trial responsibility for cases of significant severity and complexity.