$80K — $100K *
We are looking to hire a Managing Attorney to manage all Staff Counsel office activities relating to the defense of lawsuits against GEICO insureds in liability suits, and on behalf of GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), and PIP suits or arbitrations, filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction. Responsibilities include researching laws and preparing legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department, preparing and handling pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath, and defending all assigned matters by trial, arbitration, or mediation, as applicable. The ideal candidate will meet deadlines to respond to pleadings, and correspondence; appears timely in court, arbitrations, depositions, meetings and other scheduled matters. Also in this role you will train and supervise less experienced attorneys and support staff, including assisting attorneys as first and second chair counsel, and/or observing attorneys at trials and arbitrations. You will also monitor all applicable bar requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) requirements, conduct file audits and provide feedback on quality of file handling and expense management. Salary and grade will be commensurate with experience.
• Must manage and have administrative responsibility for at least eight attorneys (including managing attorney) and associated support staff OR
• Must manage and have administrative responsibility for at least one attorney (including managing attorney) and associated support staff and have managed a GEICO Staff Counsel office for at least two years.
• Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
• Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
• Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
• Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
• Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
• Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
• Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
• Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
• Must demonstrate successful performance in handling trial responsibility for cases of significant severity and complexity.
• Must have the following education and experience:
• Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
• Must have a minimum of ten years of litigation experience, including insurance defense or personal injury.
• Management experience preferred. Credit will be given for successful completion of Staff Counsel Leadership Program (SCLP), and for experience in other GEICO legal or claim departments.
Valid through: 6/18/2021