Job Description Salary and Grade commensurate with experience
GEICO Staff Counsel is seeking a Managing Attorney for its Las Vegas office. Under general supervision, MANAGES all Staff Counsel office activities relating to defense of lawsuits against GEICO insureds in liability suits, and on behalf of GEICO in subrogation and UM/UIM suits.
1. MANAGES subordinates in all activities relating to defense of lawsuits and against GEICO insureds in liability cases, and on behalf of GEICO in UM/UIM and Subrogation suits.
2. INTERVIEWS and/or APPROVES job applicants for employment. CONDUCTS and/or REVIEWS associate Performance Appraisals. INITIATES or APPROVES salary adjustments, performance ratings, and other personnel changes. COUNSELS associates and TAKES disciplinary action or TERMINATES the employment of associates as appropriate.
3. REPRESENTS GEICO insureds in liability cases, and on behalf of GEICO in UM/UIM suits filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
4. RESEARCHES laws and PREPARES legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. RENDERS opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department. PREPARES and HANDLES pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath. DEFENDS all assigned matters by trial, arbitration, or mediation, as applicable. MEETS deadlines to respond to pleadings, and correspondence; appears timely in court, arbitrations, depositions, meetings and other scheduled matters.
5. TRAINS and SUPERVISES less experienced attorneys and support staff, including ASSISTING attorneys as first and second chair counsel, and/or OBSERVING attorneys at trials and arbitrations; MONITORS all applicable bar requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements; CONDUCTS file audits and PROVIDES feedback on quality of file handling and expense management.
6. TRAVELS to attend trials, hearings, arbitrations, depositions, management meetings, and conferences.
7. REVIEWS office reports and IMPLEMENTS changes to improve office statistics, including timeliness of reports to clients, productivity reports, client and claims survey results, closure ratio, dependability ratio, and subrogation results.
Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in the State of Nevada.
Must have a minimum of 7 years of experience in personal injury litigation and demonstrated sufficient trial ability as the attorney with primary trial responsibility in cases of high severity and complexity.
Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings, and conferences.
Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
Must demonstrate successful performance in handling trial responsibility for cases of high severity and complexity.