The Staff Counsel department is looking for a manager for its Kansas City, MO office. The successful candidate must be able to, under general supervision, MANAGE all Staff Counsel office activities relating to the defense of lawsuits against GEICO insured's in liability suits, and on behalf of GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
1. MANAGES subordinates in all activities relating to the defense of lawsuits and against GEICO insured's in liability cases, and on behalf of GEICO in UM/UIM and Subrogation suits.
2. INTERVIEWS and/or APPROVES job applicants for employment. CONDUCTS and/or REVIEWS associate Performance Appraisals. INITIATES or APPROVES salary adjustments, performance ratings, and other personnel changes. COUNSELS associates and TAKES disciplinary action or TERMINATES the employment of associates as appropriate.
3. REPRESENTS GEICO insured's in liability cases and UM/UIM suits filed in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
4. RESEARCHES laws and PREPARES legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. RENDERS opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department. PREPARES and HANDLES pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath. DEFENDS all assigned matters by trial, arbitration, or mediation, as applicable. MEETS deadlines to respond to pleadings, and correspondence; appears timely in court, arbitrations, depositions, meetings and other scheduled matters.
5. TRAINS and SUPERVISES less experienced attorneys and support staff, including assisting attorneys as first and second chair counsel, and/or observing attorneys at trials and arbitrations; MONITORS all applicable bar requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements; CONDUCTS file audits and PROVIDES feedback on quality of file handling and expense management.
6. TRAVELS to attend trials, hearings, arbitrations, depositions, management meetings, and conferences.
7. REVIEWS office reports and IMPLEMENTS changes to improve office statistics, including timeliness of reports to clients, productivity reports, client and claims survey results, closure ratio, dependability ratio, and subrogation results.
8. ADHERES to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies, and operating principles.
9. MEETS attendance standard of the business location, to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with subordinates and management.
MEETS the requirements specified below:
· Must manage and have administrative responsibility for at least one attorney (including managing attorney).
· Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
· Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
· Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
· Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
· Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
· Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization. Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
· Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
· Must demonstrate successful performance in handling primary trial responsibility for cases of significant severity and complexity.
· Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions of Missouri and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
· Must have a minimum of seven years of litigation experience, including insurance defense or personal injury. Experience in Missouri and Kansas preferred.
Management experience preferred. Credit will be given for successful completion of Staff Counsel Leadership Program (SCLP), and for experience in other GEICO legal or claim departments.